Basecamp routes keep failing on Montana 610

Hi,

This is my first post here, but I assume there are more to come...

I have literally tried everything I could think of and scoured the forum and the internet as best as I could for help, but it seems impossible to me to get a working route from Basecamp onto my Montana 610 device.

The route always looks perfect in Basecamp, with the right directions, but when I transfer it to my Montana, it only finds start and finish and gives me a straight line (bird flight).
I'm completely at a loss what else I can try.

I have made sure I have the same map on both Basecamp and my device, I have tried to copy the whole "my collection" to the Montana, I have recreated the route from the track, go on...

In Basecamp, it knows perfectly well what the directions are, states the distance, the expected time for the route, etc., once on my GPS, there is no more info, nothing.

When I try the track, I think it works, but of course, with a track, you're not locked on the road nor do you have any information about distance, estimated time of arrival, no directions, etc., so I would really like to be able to use routes.

I am here on this forum hoping to find someone to save me from banging my head in the wall from utter frustration... :-)

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • If you have the same map and it's a routeable map, which I assume it is since the route works in BaseCamp, then it'll be a setting in your Montana. Have you set it to route on road?
  • Thanks for the response!

yes indeed, I thought so too. I have set it to lock on road but it doesn’t change anything...
  • Not lock on road, but in SetUp, Routing, Activity ...
  • Yes I tried all settings there as well... Automobile driving, motorcycling, cycling, everything. It just keeps showing one straight line from start to finish, really strange
  • Well next check you only have the relevant map enabled on your GPS, disable all others.
  • Also try sending it as a direct route, so point to point, then allow your Montana to recalculate it.
  • Hallo from South Africa,

I think I have a solution for this issue, as I have been having endless problems with my Montana 610 and a mapset we use named T4A (Tracks for Africa) for overlanding in Africa.

I have used these maps in numerous Garmin GPS models... Aera 500, 276Cx, Drivesmart 40 via an SD card or on internal memory, with NO issues whatsoever... until getting the Montana 610.

The problem is between Basecamp and Montana Routing Profiles, and their associated pre-set avoidances.

In Basecamp, when planning, I selected "Offroading" as the profile, because this is what we use it for, and we do not want to be locked on roads, so that is also OFF. I then make sure that ALL the avoidances under Offroading are OFF, so that the routing can happen from Interstates to the smallest dirt track.

Now to the Montana, I select ATV/Offroading (because it is a combined profile) and make sure all avoidances are OFF, matching the profile in Basecamp.

Once transferred, some routes give an error, and I get asked if I want to recalculate, if I say YES, the route bombs out. Then some routes work 100% no issues.

Eventually I found the issue.

In Basecamp, there are two SEPARATE profiles... one for ATV and one for OFFROADING. You need to make sure BOTH are set exactly the same in Basecamp, in terms of avoidances, and any other routing choices like fastest vs shortest and elevation preferences.

And because the Montana combines these profiles as ATV/OFFROADING, there will sometimes be a conflict on some routes depending on what needs to be avoided.

Once I did this, I had ZERO problems on my 610!

Not sure if anyone from Garmin reads this, but they need to do one of two things either...

1. Combine ATV and Offroading in Basecamp as one profile.

or

2. Split ATV/Offroading in the Montana (or any other recreational GPS that has the same software/profile choices)

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

Grumbles