Getting OSM into Basecamp

I downloaded OSM generic routable (new style).gmap files that I would like to get installed only into Basecamp on my iMac w/OS 10.0.1 and NOT into my device. I also downloaded JaVaWa GMTA.app and JaVaWa Map Converter as I read in a few forums these are required. It appears that GMTK seems that it is meant to be used once maps are already in Basecamp. When I use the Map Converter, I get a message that says "This folder does not contain a TDB file".

How in the world does one get these maps into Basecamp? And why can't Garmin/OSM make it so that they are self-loading with a simple click?

Thanks!
  • Nothing to do with Garmin. Some OSM map providers will have an exe file that will install the maps to your computer for Basecamp to use, so perhaps try those.
  • Try dragging the .gmap file into ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps (the ~ is short for "your home folder") and see what happens. There have been times when Apple has tried to hide the Library folder from the Finder (it's visible for me under High Sierra, but I don't remember whether I had to set it that way or not), so you may have to use the "Go to Folder.." in the Go menu of the Finder to get there, or just use the command line in Terminal if you know what that is.
  • I had the same issue... here is how to solve it
    You NEED Garmin MapManager -- for instance for Mac from here - http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3825
    then once you install it, i.e. AFTER installing, try to download the OSM Map again.
    ---> this time it will show as a single GMAP file!.... (and in OSX if you right click and select "show package contents" you will see the previous structure

Now double click the gmap and it will install in Basecamp automatically

you don't need anything else
    !!!
    ciao
    Luis
  • This won't work with all maps though, only those that come with the relevant install files. OSM maps that come as .img files need to be copied to a removable drive for BaseCamp to use.
  • Are you downloading them from this site: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

I have been successful downloading the Mac OS X files (typically "osm_generic_new_macosx.zip") and then just double clicking the .gmap file. This should automatically invoke Garmin MapManager and ask if you wish to install the map. Clicking the "install" button should complete the local installation and return a successful message with the only option then being to close the window.

Note that you have to have Basecamp either closed or restart Basecamp for the new map to be recognized.

I just verified this works today (12/31/2017) with High Sierra 10.13.2, MapManager 3.0.1 Basecamp 4.6.3 and using "OSM generic routable new(US-CO_22-12-2017)" from the above site.
  • Hey Ralph, this is how I do it.

After downloading my the OSM file from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, it arrives as an .img file. I rename it to whatever I choose and then drag and drop it into my mounted Garmin (Montana) devices "Garmin" folder. Now I open Javawa and scan device, it finds all my OSM maps on the device.

By default OSM maps are already ready to show in basecamp, but i now rename them in the Javawa SW, (Tool bar, Edit Name). As I already renamed the file name I just edit the "name, set name & Basecamp camp" name so they are more name friendly and organised for me. I tend to download a new map every month or so, so it helps me to name them "OSM Thailand 01.2018" for example. This way all my maps sit neatly inside basecamp. Renaming them all also makes it easier to back everything up and easily see what is what.

Lastly, I don't always like to get my Garmin Montana and plug it in just to look at maps, so I created a disk image using Disk Utility on my mac (this is the same as inserting and SD card, mounting a drive or like in the old school, putting in a CD/DVD). I drop my maps in here and mount the Disk Image which performs the exact function as mounting my device. This is also hand as because it is on my mac at all times, it is backed up by one of my time machine backups. (I also back the Disk Image up to dropbox too automatically with my basecamp database)

Once I have everything planned out for my trips (let's say a 10 day motorcycle tour in Thailand), I mount my Montana and send everything over and almost good to go.

Hope this helps and ping me if you need any more instruction.
  • Are you downloading them from this site: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

I have been successful downloading the Mac OS X files (typically "osm_generic_new_macosx.zip") and then just double clicking the .gmap file. This should automatically invoke Garmin MapManager and ask if you wish to install the map. Clicking the "install" button should complete the local installation and return a successful message with the only option then being to close the window.

Note that you have to have Basecamp either closed or restart Basecamp for the new map to be recognized.

I just verified this works today (12/31/2017) with High Sierra 10.13.2, MapManager 3.0.1 Basecamp 4.6.3 and using "OSM generic routable new(US-CO_22-12-2017)" from the above site.

I am pretty much following your guide but downloading the map for Australia. When I open the zip file it gives me a gmap folder not a file. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
    Andrew
  • Hey Andrew, I could never get it working this way too, but see my post above how I do it. Personally it's better for me to have the maps ready to just drag and drop onto my device. I don't want them installed in basecamp as I update them a lot with newer versions (every couple of months). I use the osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip link.

Also, another bonus is you only need Basecamp and non of the other out of date softwares Garmin make.
  • I know the original question is quite old but I'll update my working solution here just in case someone came across the question like me.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
    Basecamp 10.4.0
    • Grab your map from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ - I downloaded the "osm_generic_new_macosx.zip"
    • Unzip the file. You should get a folder "OSM generic routable new <something>.gmap"
    • Use Finder to locate your Application folder.
    • Hold Ctrl- click on the Basecamp app icon. Select "Show Package Contents"
    • "Contents" folder should show up. Select it and you will find a whole lot of files and folders.
    • Drag your "OSM generic routable new <something>.gmap" into "Resources" folder.
    • Start (or Restart) your Basecamp and your OSM map should show up.

Hope this helps!
  • thanks - your solution worked for me - cheers!