Transferring GPX files to Nuvi 2597

I'm getting really frustrated with Basecamp - can anybody please offer a suggestion?

I have a Nuvi 2597 which has the North American map in the main memory and Western Europe on the Micro SD.

I'm planning a driving trip around the Alps and have been sent a GPX file of the route by the tour company - it will take 5 days and appears as 5 legs in different colours on the Basecamp map.

I created a list in Basecamp and imported the file and I can see the full details of the route, turns etc. All good so far.. So then I select transfer to device and Basecamp offers the choice of the Nuvi or the Micro SD. I select one or the other and I get a very quick "Saving" message, and then a Close message - the "Saving" is probably only a second or so.

When I fire up the Nuvi and go to Apps:Trip Planner, at most I get the first day of the route - but not the remaining 4 days. So I've split the main GPX file into 5 segments and tried to transfer each one separately - then I get nothing.

I must be doing something wrong - anybody have any idea on what it is? Also, as I can see the contents of the main Nuvi Drive and the Micro SD in Finder, is there an alternative just to copy the files directly into those directories, without using the Basecamp transfer. If so, where should the gpx files go?

Thanks

Wallis

• If you have a valid .gpx file just place it in the GPX folder. However given the problems you're having I suspect the files are the issue. I've been transferring routes to my Garmin devices for years without issue.

Note if your methodology in BaseCamp is to send one route after the other and so on that can cause problems since the second will overwrite the first etc. You need to send them all together.
  • Thanks - dropping them into the GPX folder worked a treat - it saved hours of messing with Basecamp. I'm now up and running and ready for the high passes!

Cheers

Wallis
  • Greetings,

Recently, I've been having problems transferring my routes to my Nuvi 2597 from BaseCamp.
    I transfer a route and it appears that the route is on the device (by the view in the lower left corner of BaseCamp).
    But when I boot the device and pull up trip planner, my route is not there.

I've tried the method mentioned above by copying the gpx file directly to the GPX folder but still no route in Trip Planner.

I've attempted transferring different files that I've successfully loaded on this samve device before but those won't show up either.
    Again, it appears to make the transfer in basecamp, but once I unplug and boot up the device, they are not in Trip Planner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dean
  • Difficult to diagnose issues like this long distance but a few thoughts. Have you reached the limit of trips on your device? Unlikely since I think it's 200, but how many do you have? Are you sure you're sending routes and not tracks from BaseCamp? If routes, do they exceed 30 points?

Ultimately you may need to try a master reset.
  • Thanks for the quick response. I removed all the trips from the device. Yes, sure I am sending routes and not tracks. None of the routes exceed 30 points.
    I did a reset and managed to get one of the routes on the gps. However, I'm still having trouble getting some of the other routes.

I'm working with this a bit. I notice that when a route is loaded, a temp.gpx file is created on the device.
    That is good I believe, but it seems like the device is having trouble converting (appending) the content of the temp.gpx into the current.gpx.
    Does that make sense?

I'm determined to figure this out.
    Thanks again for the quick response...
  • Be aware that if you send one route followed by another without first booting your device the second will overwrite the first as data is sent each time as temp.gpx. Either send all routes at once as one gpx file or disconnect your device each time. Either way on boot up it takes time for the routes sent in temp.gpx to be copied into Trip Planner app on your device, they won't be there immediately.
  • I managed to get a few short routes with a few waypoints and about a dozen shaping points from my Windows 10 computer to the device. The larger routes didn't transfer. However, I connected the same device to another computer running Windows 7 with BaseCamp and the files transferred to the device successfully. Now wondering if this an issue with Windows 10 and BaseCamp.
  • Unlikely, I run BaseCamp with Win10 and no problems.
  • Ok. Well, then it could be an issue with the specific Windows 10 computer. What is strange is that I can see the actual temp.gpx file after I transfer to the device; but the temp.gpx doesn't get translated into the current.gpx via the device. I guess I can try another transfer on both computers and then compare the temp.gpx on each before ejecting the device. Perhaps my Windows 10 computer is buggering up the temp file. Seems unlikely but I will check.
  • Still have not figured out the problem. The only conclusion I've arrived at is that transferring my routes from BaseCamp to the device works on the Windows7 PC but not on the Windows 10 PC. In other words, I transfer the routes to the device from BaseCamp (using "Send to"), everything looks fine, like the route files have made it to the device. But when I boot the device, the routes that were just transferred do not appear. I give up, will have to transfer my routes from the Windows 7 PC.