How to view Device map in BaseCamp without plugging in the device?

Former Member
Former Member
I have a Zumo 550 in which i installed the latest map: City Navigator North America NT 2016.20.

I next installed Basecamp. When I open the App there’s a Notification that reads: “No Detailed Maps Found. You can enhance your user experience by plugging in a device with preinstalled maps or by purchasing maps online.” The Maps menu only displays the Global Map.

When I plug in the Zumo 550 it displays the City Navigator map that was installed.

My question is how do I install the map on my Macbook Pro and use it without having the Zumo plugged in? This is what I tried but to no avail.

When I open MapManager it says “No compatible maps were detected.” I did File/Install Map and browsed to Library/Garmin/Maps or Library/Garmin/Express/Maps and selected the City Navigator…gmap it goes through the installation but does not display the map. And Basecamp doesn’t see it as well. It’s probably a simply thing that I’m missing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kent
  • The solution you have, and would have had more quickly had you mentioned that you had the travel edition earlier, you can't install the maps to your Mac for BaseCamp to use.  What you could do though is copy the maps to a removable drive, either physical (memory stick or card) or a virtual drive, so you don't always need to plug in your device.