How to view Device map in BaseCamp without plugging in the device?

Former Member
Former Member
I have a Zumo 550 in which i installed the latest map: City Navigator North America NT 2016.20.

I next installed Basecamp. When I open the App there’s a Notification that reads: “No Detailed Maps Found. You can enhance your user experience by plugging in a device with preinstalled maps or by purchasing maps online.” The Maps menu only displays the Global Map.

When I plug in the Zumo 550 it displays the City Navigator map that was installed.

My question is how do I install the map on my Macbook Pro and use it without having the Zumo plugged in? This is what I tried but to no avail.

When I open MapManager it says “No compatible maps were detected.” I did File/Install Map and browsed to Library/Garmin/Maps or Library/Garmin/Express/Maps and selected the City Navigator…gmap it goes through the installation but does not display the map. And Basecamp doesn’t see it as well. It’s probably a simply thing that I’m missing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kent
  • Run Express and select the option to download map to your computer.
  • Thx, but the 'download' button in Express can be found where exactly ?
    A clear, working procedure to get the maps on PC without having to attach the device would be helpful.

In Garmin Express, when clicking the attached device, I get a link to 'Map Details', (Fullcoverage Europe 2020.30) then 'Map Options'.
    Both 'Change Map' and 'Reinstall map' (to PC or to device ??) start downloading something somewhere, but end with a vague message 'There was an error installing the update' - No further details to be found.

Under the same device menu, a link 'Tools & Content' leads to a tab-menu: choosing the tab 'purchased' shows what I guess is the purchased map: 'Garmin Subscription Cyclops-Europe'. The button nxt to it looks like a download icon, but states 'instaal' when hoovering over it. When I do, it states 'installing ...' in a pop-up and then 'Installation compleet'. But where ? On the device ? Still no luck on Basecamp ... 

• Cyclops is the speed camera file, nothing to do with the main map.  If you're not seeing the option under Map options to Install the map to your computer it will be because you haven't yet updated the map on your device.  Once you do that the Install to computer option will be there.

• Thanks but ... 
    I am fairly sure the map is up to date.
    To be sure, I did a 'reinstall map' again, like I did several times over the past few days.
    Still no possibility to install locally: It keeps giving me only 'Change Map' and 'Reinstall map' ... on the device but not on PC.

Another issue may be cause and also needs fixing:
    On the device, the same product is displayed 2x but one gives the detailed view of some countries, the other shows the rest. From within Basecamp, I made a screenshot of their locations, and a view of the border between Belgium and France to show how they react.

Install to computer option will be there

Where should I be expecting that 'install to computer' option ? Under Map Options in Express ? Or somewhere in Basecamp ? 

The info on the Garmin support pages https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=yqTQvDbUMf5j1ydnSQZ2qA suggest that an update must be available before one can choose to install it locally, contrary to what you suggested that the update needs to be installed first ?

So I would appreciate it if someone can help me out.

• Once you've updated your device or if a map update is available you should see the option to install to computer as outlined in the link you posted.  If you've already installed the map the options will be either reinstall to device or install to computer.  If you haven't then you get 3 options, install to device, install to computer or install to both.

The reason the map is split into two on your device is the full map is over 4Gb, which is the limit for FAT32. In BaseCamp the map will be combined. However reading from the device you can only select one map which is why you're seeing what you are near the borders of the two maps.

• Thank you but that doesn't resolve either issue ...

1) installing the maps on PC

Once you've updated your device

As shown in the screenshots, the maps on the device are up to date.

you should see the option to install to computer

The option to install on computer is never there. That is exactly what I need help with for this first issue.

2) detailed maps in Basecamp

In BaseCamp the map will be combined

They probably should indeed, but they don't, as shown in my screenshots. Only one half or the other part of the countries is shown in detail in Basecamp, but never together. And that is why I need help with this second issue.

So could I please get some help to solve these 2 issues ?
    Thanks in advance.

• The maps in BaseCamp are in 2 parts as its reading them from your device, once installed by Express to your computer it will be one map. I explained that as you're reading them from the device you can only see one map as BaseCamp cannot display two maps at once.

Now the tricky bit, why you're not seeing the option to Install to computer in Express. Since it shows reinstall you should indeed have the option to also install to your computer.  Why you haven't I have no idea as never seen that issue before. What you could try is a reinstall of the map to your device and then see if the Install to computer is there.  All this assumes that Express is up to date and the map on your device is an update of the map that was on your device when you purchased it

• Product Support (Filippa at Garmin Europe) is claiming that my Zumo 595 is a so called 'travel edition' even if the maps clearly state 'City Navigator'. (see screenshots above)
    Now I'm confused: according to the help pages at https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=yqTQvDbUMf5j1ydnSQZ2qA installing the maps on a PC should be supported with City Navigator maps.

My solution to anyone out there: don't waste you money on any Garmin product ever again: you overpay and you don't know what you'll get. Go for a waterproof smartphone or for a TomTom device for your next buy: You'll be cheaper off, it works as promised, hassle free. 

• That's why you can't see what you were expecting, and I was explaining, as the travel edition works differently in the way it handles maps, as you have access to pretty much the whole world.  Had you mentioned that at the start it would have helped.

Hardly fair blaming Garmin though as you were the one who bought it. It works exactly as intended, just not the way you want.

• My apologies for buying an expensive satnav and being so naive as to think it should work. So sorry. 
    Blaming never helped. A sollution would have been appreciated. My apologies again for keeping my hopes up.