How to transfer ALL Garmin BaseCamp data from old computer to new computer

Hello All,

Just a hypothetical situation just now, but will be useful to know how to get this done for the future.

*PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN A GARMIN GPS UNIT AS YET, AND PROBABLY WONT UNTIL AFTER I GET A NEW COMPUTER*

I have made about 100 routes and tracks and organized them in folders and list as per my preference on my current macbook pro. I am looking to buy a new computer this month. I have spent a lot of effort in making these routes on Garmin Basecamp and I was wondering how I can transfer all the Garmin data from the old computer to the new one without loading it on a GPS unit since I dont have one as yet.

I have tried to find the Garmin folder on my Mac HD but I have had no luck as yet. If I can find that folder I'm sure I can just transfer it on a pen drive and transfer it to the new computer.

Please help if anyone has any suggestions!

Much Appreciated.
  • Simplest way is to use the export/import function in Basecamp.

Or just attach a pen drive to your Mac and do a 'send to' to that.
  • sussamb's advice is good, but for future reference, to find the Garmin folder and all of BC's stored maps and data, do the following.

In newer versions of OS X, your Library is hidden. So in the Finder, hold down Option and pull down the Go menu to Library. Look for the Application Support folder, then the Garmin folder. Inside it you will see various BC folders. Copy them to the new computer.

-dan
  • Why not BACKUP then Restore?

Wouldn't simply using Basecamp's BACKUP function on the old computer and then RESTORING to the new computer be simpler and easier than EXPORTING and IMPORTING 100 routes?
  • That would work too ... choices, choices ... ;)

I tend not to use that as I have a lot of BirdsEye data so a backup/restore takes a while ...
  • If you use Time Machine, then you can use the migration assistant to migrate all your data from your old computer to your new one. Your BaseCamp library folder will get migrated along with everything else.

Also, your library location is controlled by the Library Advanced Preference option. The default location as daham_ indicated is ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/BaseCamp. Some folks like to change the location to use a network drive or cloud service like drop box, so the same library can be used on multiple computers (not at the same time though).
  • Wouldn't simply using Basecamp's BACKUP function on the old computer and then RESTORING to the new computer be simpler and easier than EXPORTING and IMPORTING 100 routes?

Seems like it should be the best way, but it fails for me, moving from an XP to Win7. The error says "The format of the backup file is not valid." I wonder if it has something to do with going from 32 to 64 bit. Or maybe that the version on the new computer is 4.5.2 but is only 4.2.5 on the old one, despite it saying it is the latest version.

In the end, copying the whole Basecamp folder from within ...Application Data\GARMIN on the XP system and replacing the one in Win7 in the AppData\Roaming\Garmin folder was successful.
  • Having trouble getting data from cloned drive

If you use Time Machine, then you can use the migration assistant to migrate all your data from your old computer to your new one. Your BaseCamp library folder will get migrated along with everything else.

Also, your library location is controlled by the Library Advanced Preference option. The default location as daham_ indicated is ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/BaseCamp. Some folks like to change the location to use a network drive or cloud service like drop box, so the same library can be used on multiple computers (not at the same time though).

I rebuilt my MBP El Capitan from scratch as a clean install, and I have a Carbon Copy Clone of the old drive I planned to use to selectively restore the files I need. I now have Garmin BaseCamp 4.6.3 installed. I am not sure of the exact version of BaseCamp I was previously using, but it was 4.x. For some reason, I have been unable to locate the BaseCamp library on the cloned drive to try to restore my data. I do not think I changed the default location of the library, but if I did, it would still have been on the local disk. I have also made sure I enabled viewing of hidden files, and there is no ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin folder on the cloned drive.

Any suggestions to locate my data would be appreciated!
  • Just do a search for AllData.gdb

That should find the correct folder.

I rebuilt my MBP El Capitan from scratch as a clean install, and I have a Carbon Copy Clone of the old drive I planned to use to selectively restore the files I need. I now have Garmin BaseCamp 4.6.3 installed. I am not sure of the exact version of BaseCamp I was previously using, but it was 4.x. For some reason, I have been unable to locate the BaseCamp library on the cloned drive to try to restore my data. I do not think I changed the default location of the library, but if I did, it would still have been on the local disk. I have also made sure I enabled viewing of hidden files, and there is no ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin folder on the cloned drive.

Any suggestions to locate my data would be appreciated!

Jerry,

Have you checked to make sure you are navigating to your user library, not the system one? I use SuperDuper to clone my drive and the Garmin folder is on my clone.

I just double-checked and found that it is not necessary to enable invisible files. On my clone, mounted on a Firewire 800 external drive, I can navigate right to Users/danham/Library/Application Support/Garmin

I'm running OS 10.11.4.

-dan
  • Found my data

Thanks, Dan and SUSSAMB. These suggestions were helpful.

I think I needed to allow the drive to stay connected long enough to get indexed, since my searches did not seem to be finding anything earlier. I should be set now.

-Jerry