This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Virb Mobile App not able to see / play videos from Virb XE

Hi All

I have a Virb XE and an Android phone. I run my Virb XE at 1440 and the videos I record are over an hour long - basically all the videos files are split into about 15 minute chunks.

When I try to look at the videos in the Virb Mobile app generally it doesn't work at all. I usually see thumbnails for all the video files but without actually any image (just a white border). If I try to play a video the app crashes.

I can see images that I have taken and very short videos. This suggests that the app just can't cope with the larger video files.

Anyone else had this?
  • Just came accross this as was thinking of getting a virb.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2015/08/introducing-the-newly-updated-virb-mobile-app.html#.Veb9WnCkqrV

The VIRB Mobile app is compatible with VIRB X, VIRB XE, and VIRB Elite cameras, but most of the new features only work with X and XE. Live preview and video playback are not available when the VIRB action camera’s frame rate is 120 frames-per-second or higher, when recording 1440p video, or while recording on the VIRB Elite. This app requires Android 4.1 or newer, iOS 8.0 or newer for iPhones, and is also compatible with iPad, and iPod touch.
  • Thanks for posting that.

I have even contacted support about this and they couldn't tell me that.

I bought this camera for these features - but apparently they don't work together. The Virb Edit desktop app doesn't work with 1440 either.
  • I bought this camera for these features - but apparently they don't work together. The Virb Edit desktop app doesn't work with 1440 either.

I cannot confirm that. Virb Edit works with 1440 Videos as well as with HD or any other resolution.

But you, and HannesLF quote are right. There are some Videos which cannot be whatched live during recording or some cannot be played afterwards.
    What´s not working during the Android App:
    Timelapse
    FullHd 60 Frames (only preview not possible)

I´d guess the power (processor) is not enough to work with the huge amount of data and create thumbnails at the same time. Except the Timelaps recordings, I don´t see any reason, that they are not working.
  • You must be on Mac. When I pkigin my camera I get a message in Virb edit saying it doesn't support 1440
  • You must be on Mac.

Nope! Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
    As the Message within Virb Edit says to you: "Virb Edit on Windows 7 does not support videos with resolutions of 1440p or higher". I´d say it cant be more clear :)
  • Ah yes. That's right I'd forgotten it's only windows 7.

I might upgrade to 10 soon. Getting 3 4k monitors and I've heard windows 10 is better at high resolution.