This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wi-fi disconnect issues

Former Member
Former Member
Hi All,
I just did some videos using an iPad to connect to and position a Virb Elite. I noticed that maybe 20min after I started recording, the app was no longer connected to the Virb but I saw that the red light was still blinking on the camera. Has this happened to anyone else? Why does this happen? Does the app disconnect if the Camera unit does it power saving thing and turns off the view finder after a while? The weird part was I didn't really have an off button any more, I had to slide the big record button ON and OFF real quick to actually turn it off. This also raises anther questions, has anyone had issues starting the recording with the app but then messing with the slider? I think one of my videos got messed up and it did not record GPS for it's entire 30 min length! Eeek. Any feedback would be appreciated :-)
-Kirk
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    Yes, I have had similar issues using the iPhone app, and that is what brings me to the forum. I've tried different combinations of switch settings, yet what I notice is that after using the iPhone to change settings, then start recording, some ten to twenty minutes later recording stops (no blinking red light). Moreover, both the app and Virb Elite switches no longer have an effect. The only solution found so far is to yank the battery, which resets the unit.

Not sure if there is a prescribed sequence for start/stop recording with the app that would keep the wifi connection. Perhaps the phone wifi disconnects and that causes the Virb to lock up.
  • Former Member
    I've done some more informal tests; I used the app for positioning the VIRB only but using the camera slider to record, and the app is connected the whole time. I found that if I stopped recording (by using the slider) the app would then reconnect to the VIRB, but if I engaged the slider before the app reconnected, the VIRB would not actually record even though the app thought it was. I haven't tried this a ton but I'm pretty sure this is what happened. Thank GOODNESS that there is a little recording light right on the VIRB so you can really tell if it's recording!
  • I find the exact same thing happens when I use the VIRB remote. The remote appears to be working (LED's light) but it doesn't actually control the camera. The only way to reconnect is to remove the VIRB battery. Maybe it is a related issue.
  • Disconnection

I've wi-fi disconnection issue too between my VIRB Elite (FW 4.00) and Galaxy S5 following by a VIRB freeze....any suggestion?
  • Former Member
    Hey everyone, I'm becoming more convinced that my wireless disconnects are a function of the VIRB elite over heating and locking up. The other day I was recording for a few hours in fair weather conditions (less than 85 F outside), camera in an AC'ed car, and the virb app suddenly tells me that the "device" is was trying to connect to was not "compatible." I tried reconnecting with the app, didn't work, went to the iPad's wireless settings to look for the VIRB and saw it a couple of times but then it disappeared! I felt the unit and it was burning up! After all of this the red light stayed on and continued to record, amazingly. About 10 min later I felt the unit and the temperature was considerably cooler. I'm wondering how rigorously they tested the max power consumption of the VIRB with both max recording settings and wi-fi on. Since the VIRB app has limited use once start recording (with VIRB Elite) I really only need it for framing my shot before driving so I think I might put in a new feature request for the app to have a button to turn off the VIRBs Wi-Fi to reduce power consumption. Any thoughts? Thanks.