This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin VIRB iPhone APP ???

First apologies for posting here but there is no section in the Forums for iPhone APPs - may I suggest one is created to discuss iPhone Apps (e.g. Garmin Connect App and Garmin VIRB App etc.)

Anyway back to topic ... when will the Garmin VIRB iPhone App be released??
  • First apologies for posting here but there is no section in the Forums for iPhone APPs - may I suggest one is created to discuss iPhone Apps (e.g. Garmin Connect App and Garmin VIRB App etc.)

Anyway back to topic ... when will the Garmin VIRB iPhone App be released??

Apparently it should be released soon, but I don't know the exact date.
  • Available soon ???

umm, available soon .... does not inspire me to splash out £350 on the Garmin VIRB Elite camera - if the software not ready yet. The hardware looks fantastic and specs that should leave GoPro in the dust .... please please don't let it down with a poor iPhone app.
  • Garmin VIRB elite iPhone APP

I bought the elite, was mislead that the software was going to be released any day, and that it should be out prior to me having the VIRB in my hand. I received the camera on Thursday and called on Friday about the APP. Now they say they have not estimate on the release date. The web and manual reads as if it has been released. I am just wanting for someone to file a Class Action Lawsuit, for misleading the public. I remember back when HP released their first PDA, the box had the wrong pixels listed for what the screen resolution was. A class action lawsuit was filed and HP had to pay each person $50 and you were able to return the device if you did not want it. Most people did return it and bought the Compaq version ipaq which was the best PDA at the time.

umm, available soon .... does not inspire me to splash out £350 on the Garmin VIRB Elite camera - if the software not ready yet. The hardware looks fantastic and specs that should leave GoPro in the dust .... please please don't let it down with a poor iPhone app.
  • I agree

Well - I sold my GoPro and bought the Elite - the hardware was just to good to turn down!!

So far I am very impressed with the camera, and the VIRB Edit software does a good job. Reading the Windows VIRB Edit forum (where there seems to be good interaction from Garmin themselves) there seems to be lots of new features on the way in VIRB Edit so as long as they make it into the Mac version then future looks good.

As for the iOS / iPhone app, yep it is very disappointing that all the adds suggest the App is available now, even down to the flyer in the box! I am busy in the forums because the Garmin Connect iPhone App that is needed for my other expensive Garmin purchase (Garmin Edge 510) is in a poor state - all those posts are ignored by Garmin!!

So it looks like the Garmin division that is responsible for iOS / iPhone development is simply not delivering!! And this is such a shame when Garmin are producing such great hardware. I am a developer myself and I know even the best plans slip - but all you have to do is communicate with your users, let them know whats coming and expected dates - it is just common etiquette.
  • Class Action Lawsuit

The Garmin team can ignore it, but because they used the APP as a selling point the odds are a Class Action Lawsuit will be filed, that is just the American way.
  • Disappointed with the Garmin VIRB Elite

I received my VIRB Elite along with $100 worth of accessories, and I am very disappointed. The promise of WiFi connectivity is just one issue I have. The manual also states that it will connect to a PC; anyone know what program? The iPhone app has been available for the GoPro for a while now, and I found a GoPro app for Windows Phone 8 as well. What happened Garmin? I saw a segment on 60 Minutes tonight about the GoPro . I hope GPS City will let me return the VIRB and all the accessories.
  • I received my VIRB Elite along with $100 worth of accessories, and I am very disappointed. The promise of WiFi connectivity is just one issue I have. The manual also states that it will connect to a PC; anyone know what program?

The name of the forum your writing in is the name of the app. It can be found here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-01088-00
  • Yep the software is called VIRB Edit ... and credit where it is due, initial testing of the Camera and VIRB Edit software and so far they are better than GoPro's offering - the hardware from an ease of use and battery life means I could not go back to GoPro now.

But you are correct about the iPhone app, not available yet and worse than that ... no communication or status about it's availability.
  • I received my VIRB Elite along with $100 worth of accessories, and I am very disappointed. The promise of WiFi connectivity is just one issue I have. The manual also states that it will connect to a PC; anyone know what program? The iPhone app has been available for the GoPro for a while now, and I found a GoPro app for Windows Phone 8 as well. What happened Garmin? I saw a segment on 60 Minutes tonight about the GoPro . I hope GPS City will let me return the VIRB and all the accessories.

Isn't that the oddest thing about the Elite? When I got mine last week and started setting it up, I got to the WiFi section and expected to have to go through a tedious time with a virtual keyboard getting it connected to the house WiFi network, but then it'd be done and I wouldn't have to do it again. I could see using the WiFi on occasion. Instead, I'm met by an SSID and a password! So the VIRB itself is a WiFi "hotspot". Except hotspot isn't the right word because the VIRB isn't connected to the Internet, so any WiFi only device that you connect to it is cut off from the Internet! Very odd. I can't think of a single reason to do it that way, but maybe I'm not thinking hard enough.
  • Instead, I'm met by an SSID and a password! So the VIRB itself is a WiFi "hotspot".

Yep it looks like very similar functionality as the GoPro 3.

Basically they have a couple of options to connect to the cameras using smartphone apps, Bluetooth or WiFi. Both Garmin and GoPro have opted for WiFi - I guess it is probably quicker for video transfer.

Anyway back to the point, yes the Garmin will act as a WiFi hotspot (just like the GoPro 3), then you will have to join that network using your smartphone before running the App - THAT IS OF COURSE IF THE APP EVER GETS RELEASED !!!!

PS: The reason for the hotspot mode is so you can connect the devices when away from home and other WiFi networks - the negative you point out is having to swap WiFi networks at home to get the connection the App requires.