This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch Broken Where the Band Connects To The Case

18 months after purchase I basically have a fitness tracker that I have to tape to my wrist or pin to my shirt…Sitting at my desk the other day my VAM3 just fell of my wrist.  Thought the band just came undone.  Nope one of the 4 band contact points is broken off.  After closer inspection there are small cracks on the remaining 3 points of contact.  Sorry but, these devices are way too expensive to be rendered useless after 18 months of wear.  While I wear it nearly 24 hours a day, it hasn’t been abused, I sit at a desk all day long, run with it most mornings/evenings and take it on the occasional swim.  I’ve had cheap plastic Timex watches that have lasted literally a decades!

Very disappointed because this watch did everything I wanted a watch to do, except last.  I reached out to Garmin via messenger as others suggested, no response yet…Apparently this isn’t unique to my watch or even the VAM3, there are many complaints from customers having the same issue on Vivoactives and Forerunner models.  I hope they fix this flaw and make a watch that will actually last, until then I won’t be buying another Garmin.

• My watch also broke where the band attaches. Mine was only 4 months old and was covered by the warranty.  I contacted Garmin and had a replacement in 3 days. They have two options for replacement under warranty. Mail in your old watch and they send out a new one after it is received or deposit the cost of the watch (in my case $245 for a Forerunner 645 Music) and they ship a new one out immediately and refund the deposit when they receive the old watch.  I did the latter because I wanted a new watch ASAP. I also purchased a 3 year warranty with my watch and after contacting the extended warranty company they assured me that the watch is covered for that type of damage, so at least I have coverage for a while.  Garmin definitely needs to Re-engineer their watches as this is a major flaw in the design.

• My just broke as well. Vivoactive 3 Music from Verizon. Of course i did not/do not have insurance thru VZW. Verizon says to file with Garmin. Garmin (I called and chat) says they dont have any to replace so I have to go to Verizon. So now I have a $300 paperweight.....

• This just happened with my Vivoactive 3 Music, which I purchased in June 2018. It definately seems like a design/material flaw. 

I contacted Garmin through their support chat. They offered to exchange with refurbished watch for $65 since out of warranty, which is half of their standard price for this. Not perfect, but better than a lot of companies would do for a 2+ year old watch. 

• Looks like intentional design. My VAM3 has the same issue, 18 months after purchase. Garmin Support has given a quote that is nearly 1/2 of the watch' s price to repair, with a 3 month warranty on the renewed product. This is my last Garmin...

• Glad I found this thread and that I'm not the only one this has happened to. I've worn my watch 24/7 for nearly two years and I feel naked without it - but hopefully they will replace it quickly.

• I, sadly, switched to a Galaxy watch.  They're nice... but I have always loved my Garmins. (Bar the cheap, plastic casing!)

Galaxy watches use a full metal casing...Garmin should do the same!

• My case has just broken in the same way as described here. Surely this is an indication of a sub-standard product? I will contact customer support in hope rather than expectation.

• Yep! The resin strap lugs are prone to break. Just not strong enough for the function that they serve.  They have to be aware of the problem and we’re not at all surprised when I contacted them for a replacement, as my watch was only 4 months old and still under warranty.  I suspect mine replacement will eventually suffer the same fate as this is a weak point in the design of the watch.  

• Hi. I have exactly the same problem. My watch just dropped off suddenly so I'm glad that its not just me who has the issue. How do I go about claiming a replacement?

• Hi. I have exactly the same problem. My watch just dropped off suddenly so I'm glad that its not just me who has the issue. How do I go about claiming a replacement?

Hello! I am so sorry to hear that happened. If you are in the US or CAD, I can go ahead and help you if not I can help point you in the direction to your local Garmin support.