This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Stock band causing skin irritation. What's being done?

It's been a year since I've had my Garmin Vivoactive 3. I've tried scrubbing the band with rubbing alcohol, my wrist with rubbing alcohol. I've tried changing the types of hand soap and body wash I use. I don't wear it in the shower and I rarely wear it while I'm swimming. I remove it overnight while it needs to charge approximately every 3 to 5 days. I can't think of anything else I could possibly do to resolve this issue with the stock band. This seems to have affected several users throughout the past year. (most of those posts have been closed and no additional replies can be posted)

There's a spot on the side of my wrist that is red and irritated. it almost looks as if its a sunburn. The skin is red, itchy, and is flaky. It's only on one spot on my wrist where the band is solid. The slotted portion of the band on the other side of the watch face does not cause any skin irritation. Neither does the HR portion cause any irritation. It's just one small spot from the band that's causing this issue.

I owned the Vivosmart HR before this and never had a single issue with the stock band. 

Loosening the band doesn't fix the issue. The skin irritation is still there. Switching wrists is not a viable solution as I don't want the same skin irritation on both my wrists. I'd like to know what Garmin will be doing to provide excellent customer service.

• We have a similar issue with the Silicon band.  Working with Garmin to get replacement leather bands.  Lot of hurdle's to jump for a replacement.  Will see how it goes.  Good Luck

• We've contacted support and despite a mail recommending cleaning the watch etc, nothing further from them. Can't say I'm overly impressed with their performance and definitely makes me think twice about buying a Fenix 6 if this is their degree of customer support.

• UPDATE!!!!! I thinks the issue a bit complicated. From the last time I posted the pictures of the rash it took about a week to go away and the watch went back to wrist and I have not had a rash. I use the watch on a daily basis and to track my intense workout routines and I sweat like a woman on labor.  A week before my rash I did start working on her garden and I did notice some dirt around the wrist and I did have to clean the mud from my mk1. Maybe something else is causing this rash. I thought about blood pressure, or maybe something that I consumed that caused a reaction once coming across the sensors or band. I haven’t another issues but I will keep testing the unit.  Remember to always clean your watch at least when you shower if you use it every day.  

• Before Fitness Watches I wore a regular watch with a leather wrist band for decades, never washed the wrist band, never had a rash.  Within a couple weeks of getting the Garmin Vivoactive 4 with the Silicone wrist band, I developed a stubborn rash.  Garmin Customer Support is sending me a leather wrist band that should be here in a day or two.  Will post my outcome after a couple weeks of wearing the Garmin Vivoactive 4 with a Leather wrist band.  

• Same problem here with the Venu

UPDATE: I noticed that there is coating that is beginning to wear off on the OEM band right where the rash is occuring.  Swtiching wrists, the rash is still right under the band where the coasting is wearing away.  This helps to explain two things: 1) I've only recently starting having a rash even though I've been using the Venu for close to a year. 2) The rash is only in a particular location.  Conclusion: Garmin should disclose the materials used in the so-called "Silicone" bands.

• Update 8/6/21. I inquired directly with Garmin and followed the requested protocol. Garmin bent over backwards to assist me. Spoke to a Mr MOORE a couple of times and it was an excellent experience in that he wasn’t short or rude. So we all know the stock band caused problems. Do what Garmin asks and they’ll take care of you. Garmin EXCEEDED all expectations and sent me more than 1 replacement band and now ZERO problems. Yes, My faith in Garmin was a bit tested but the customer service removed that doubt 10 fold. Have been using Garmin products for 21 years!  Quality comes to mind since day 1. 

• My experience was identical to yours except that I spoke to a female CSR.

• I am having a similar issue with the band on my gaming venu sq.

• The leather wrist band was a big improvement over the silicon band for my wife and I.  There is also an interaction between the "flashing light sensor" and dirt, we wipe ours down with alcohol once a week.  We only wear our Vivoactive 4 watch's during the day.  Charge them at night.  We don't get the data at night anymore, oh well.

• We are sorry to hear about the issue you are reporting. The skin irritation may be a result of build-up on the watch band and/or casing. You should discontinue wearing your watch until your skin has healed. Please review the following FAQ that provides important information regarding the wear and care of your Garmin watch: https://www.garmin.com/watch-fit-and-care/ 

If you feel that this issue warrants further discussion please reach out to Garmin Product Support via Garmin Support Center