This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Skin Rash from Wristband - Garmin Vivoactive 3

I've been experiencing a skin rash on my wrist after only a 2-3 days of wearing the watch. I've worn watches for most of my adult life, but this is the first watch/wristband in my life that has given me a rash/skin peeling. I've tried cleaning the wristband on a daily basis, but this only delays the rash by a day or two at most. Can someone please explain? Or was this a product defect that I can get a refund for? I would find it hard that I fit into the 1% category of experiencing adverse reactions. I've never had this sort of skin reaction or rash before with probably having worn over 50+ different rubber(silicon), metal, and leather watches over the past 20 years. I also have no known allergies at 29 years old.

Additionally, if anyone can suggest a 3rd party wristband that doesn't cause this effect I'd really appreciate that. Thanks!

• Have to self pay. I sent UPS so I could track, but they don't care what method you use. I think it may have been around 8 bucks plus cost of a bubble mailer at UPS. 

• I have the same, and it is strange that almost for 2 years I had no problem, but since 2-3 months ago it started. At first, I thought it was because of the HR sensor. I deactivated it and for a week nothing happened and I thought I nailed the problem. But then, there it was, rash again just under the HR sensor, round red mark. I switched the watch from one hand to the other and the same thing happened again. I do not know why it was no problem for such a long time and right now it begin to rash. I wanted to buy the new Vivoactive 4, but now I donțt know what to do, I am afraid this will have the same problem too.

• The issue is the Vivoactive 3 has a metal back. My guess is over time a coating on it wears off then exposing the irritating properties. You will not have this issue with the 4 because it has a plastic back. Open a case with customer service and they will help you replace your watch with a similar watch with a plastic back. They will try to get you in the 3 music, I explained to them why that one doesn't work for me and why I wanted to upgrade to the 4. They agreed to send me the 4, no issues! You will need to take a photo of your rash.

Garmin customer service is very helpful in this matter.

• The issue is the Vivoactive 3 has a metal back. My guess is over time a coating on it wears off then exposing the irritating properties. You will not have this issue with the 4 because it has a plastic back. Open a case with customer service and they will help you replace your watch with a similar watch with a plastic back. They will try to get you in the 3 music, I explained to them why that one doesn't work for me and why I wanted to upgrade to the 4. They agreed to send me the 4, no issues! You will need to take a photo of your rash.

Garmin customer service is very helpful in this matter.

• I had the exact same issue.  I wore it for a year without issue and now all of a sudden I get a terrible rash near wear the clasp is after just a single day wearing it.  I tried the other wrist as well and it happened over there to.  I have no known skin sensitivities and have been wearing watches my whole life.  It must be something in the material.......

• Definitely contact customer service and send them a picture of the rash they will replace your watch! I paid a little bit extra to get the new version of the watch that I wanted versus whatever they were offering is a direct replacement at the time. 

• I am also getting rashes. I have had it for about 3 months now and started getting a rash on my left wrist, switched to my right wrist and now this one is getting a rash too

• I contacted them about my rash and sent photos - the skin was raw. They said I must be wearing it too tight. I wasn't though. 

I switched to the forerunner245 in January, wearing it almost every day and have had no issues

• I am having the same problem.  I wonder if it's nickel in the metal clasp?

• Contact support they will rectify the issue.