This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

6.90 battery drain is twice as fast

My VA3 has been stable and doing well with just 15% battery drain per day very consistently.  Instantly after 6.90 installation the watch now drains at 2.5x that rate.

Has anyone else that did NOT have battery issues before 6.90 now seeing excessive battery drain with this crappy code release?

• And i am still stuck with this 6.9 version bug that kills my battery. I have read every suggestion in this forum and tried. I have done complete restore to defaults and avoided installing any software from the store. I have done full charge discharge cycles by letting the watch shitdown (20 hours from full to zero and shutdown regradless of doing any gps  activities ). I have charged using only from computer. I have disabled all widgets. No improvement . 5% per hours is the average ever since version 6.9 upgrade. This is so frustrating. The knowledge that your product can be made useless  remotely  by the manufacturer at any time. Similar problem happened in the past but was fixed quickly by updated version and my recallection is that never in the past was it so excessive. I am loosing patience but still hoping garmin will fix this with an updated version. If it wasnt for this issue i could have been quite happy with this product.

• I am in the same boat. Have tried everything. I was loving my watch until this happened. Fingers crossed a corrective software update will come soon. 

• If your watch is a year old it’s worthwhile to phone support about the issue. I did and they are sending me out a refurbished watch. Will find out when I get it if it works 

• The "trick" works, I did it yesterday (I restored the default values ​​and immediately applied the walking /GPS activity), today exactly 24 hours later, the battery has dropped only 18% (0.75% /hour), when in previous days the battery fell to 3% /h.
    It may not be optimal, but it is a great relief.

All this with my normal settings, not including any GPS activity.

My VA3 is approximately 20 months old.

About 2 weeks ago, I had already tried the option to delete the folders (Activity, Configuration, Monitor, New files, Applications, remote SW), which Garmin support staff told me to do when I called them, and in another Chat also commented, but my VA3 continued with the battery problem (I write this last comment, because maybe both methods complement each other).

The reset of only the default values ​​I tried 3 times, on different days in this last month.

I'm happy today.

• Glad it worked for you too!

• During one hour of riding on the bike battery drops about 20%. Without difference that i'm using one second accuracy tracking or less, only GPS or GPS and Glonass. On my old Vivoactive HR it was 10%.

• I have had my Garmin VA 3 for 6 months. I am seeing faster than previous battery drain. I remembered when i purchased the watch to change how frequently the phone synced with the watch. There were several choices at the time. I chose the option to only sync when i opened the app on my phone and asked it to sync. My battery would last 7 days usually.  Now with the 6.9fw and 4.25 version of Garmin Connect, I have two sync options. Smart or Every Second.  I feel this is the major cause for heavy battery drain.  What is "smart" syncing? I feel its syncing way more than i need it to.  I cant control how often my watch syncs anymore. Garmin, Please bring back custom syncing options!!! 

• Smart and every second are the gps recording options. They've been like that since it came out. Nothing to do with phone syncing 

• I would disagree, I used to have more than 2 options because i remember selecting them to test different battery results.  Or if it is only GPS now, then in older versions there definitely was options for data syncing frequency which are now gone, so how does one change how frequently it connects/syncs? Either way, its connecting/syncing way more than i need it to and I should be able to adjust it the way i want it. 

• Bought my watch a week ago. Battery lasts about 12 hours. I have a 910XT for serious workouts but wanted this one for daily tracking/steps. Very disappointed.