This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watchband Pin falls out often

Anyone having trouble with the watchband pin falling out repeatedly?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Yes, I use a vivosmart HR. I’ve had replacement done at Garmin there times now and it’s just fallen out again!, less than 2 months after it was replaced. So unless they are using inferior bands.

Time to look at other brands

• Not falling out but have had the ear that holds the pin break off on 2 watches garmin replaces them but why dont they make the ear out metal instead of cheap plastic. I cant get more than 2 months use without breaking an ear on the buckle side. For 250 dollars you would expect a little more quality. 

• My VA3 has definitely  metal inlays on a pin holder.

The problem with a garmin pins  - they are not standard 20 mm pins. They are little longer and a much thicker. About 2 years ago i have bought well-perforated band, but the pins was standard - 1,5 mm and more then 1 mm shorter than ones from Garmin. Have bought from Ebay one pair quick-release pins 1,78 mm thick and for 20mm size - use they perfect till now.

• I just finished a chat with Garmin support to ask about this.  I was able to order watch band pins directly from Garmin for $5.00.  I'll try to remember to post an update once I've tried them out.  

Svc,Quick Release Bar,OD2.0mm L 22.6mm,VivoMove

• S00-01199-00
    • $5.00 USD
    • Quantity: 1
  • I've been using a nylon samsung strap for a while and it came loose several times. Almost lost the watch while cycling. No problems with the original strap. Maybe itt's because the nylon strap is not elastic so a lot of force may applied to the pins when the strap is tight and muscles are strained.

Also i lost one of the sockets one time while removing the samsung strap. Fortunately i could recover it from the floor and put it back in.

• My replacement pins from Garmin arrived today.  They are definitely a heavy duty pin, a tiny bit longer than the pins that have come with any replacement bands that I have.  Unfortunately, they are also thicker; enough so that they do not fit in any of my replacement bands.  

The original band makes my wrist itchy, so the quest to make this work continues.

I think my next step will be to go to a jewelry store to see if I can find pins that are the right length, but not as thick.  This is my 2nd VA3, the first had to be replaced when the battery began discharging rapidly.  I had the 1st VA3 for probably a year with no issues with replacement bands falling off.

• I have 2 replacement bands, both of which popped off occassionally which is not acceptable.  I made a simple solution:

1. Bought 1.8mm wide 20mm long replacement pins (I got mine from Amazon, quick and cheap)

2. Using a wire cutter, I cut the ball off the part that sticks out from the pin that makes it easy to remove

3. Install the pins, they are great

I found the ball on the end of the part sticking out is great for making it easy to remove the pins, but it makes it easy for the pins to remove themselves.  The Garmin band has an extra thick amount of plastic that covers that ball.  My replacement bands don't have that extra material so the balls protrude a little bit.  That ball catches skin or hair or something just enough to release the pin.  By removing the ball, nothing there to catch and they hold solid.  Typical pins that come with replacement bands are 1.6mm so not as strong.  The 1.8mm are stronger and do not pop open on their own.

Without the ball, one can't easily remove the band with your finger nail, but there is still some of the protruding stick there that a tiny screwdriver can catch.  The upside is bands do not come off on their own (they are harder to remove), the downside is it takes a little more work to remove them (they are harder to remove).  One comes with the other.  In my case, I don't swap bands, so it is not an issue.  If you like to swap bands, this may be more of an issue for you.

Give it a try.

• every band i have gotten after market pops off,  the original 2 that came with it never ever does.  I noticed the more rigid the band, less flex, easier it pops off.  I think all the falls finally made it become so hazy i had to send it back for repair. Luckily warranty but what is the point to being about to change bands if changing so makes it unusable!  

• I have the same problem, I lost 2 of them. where I can buy it??

• Are they Anrir or Yeejok brand?