This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Altitude is very incorrect

Hello,

Since v3.30, altitude seems to be incorrect, showing very crazy values, sometimes very high, sometimes negative ones.
After I've factory reseted the device, it appeared to be corrected. But after I performed a walk, with GPS online, it seems that the values got wrong again.
It also seems to be impacting in the floors (stairs) counting).
Could it be another bug?
Regards
Hervandil
  • After the update to 3.40 there is the same problem:
    When i sit on a chair lift moving up, the altitude is still decreasing for a few minutes. The oher way, skiing down the hill, the altitude is still increaing some time.

The altitude seams to be nothing than a random number.

For this reason unfortunately the VA3 is worthless for me.
  • Same here, here's yesterdays bike commute to work (14th of March) and one from 27th of February (that is correct as you can see on the altitude chart). Exactly the same route - elevation is out of bounds really bad. Support contacted, but no solution yet. But this is 100% software related, so no need to panic...
    ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1322629.png
  • I've been testing it.
    It seems that sometimes it selfadjust.
    But, at this right moment, it is telling me that I'm 89 m high (totally wrong).
    Regards
  • I knew I saw something on this. Look at this bike ride. First is mine with the 3 and 2nd is my friend’s with the HR. We rode together and not in the mountains...ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1323918.png
  • I'm also seeing this. SW Version 3.40 GPS, 4.30, TSC 2.10, Sensor 5.80, WHR 20.03.24, Connect IQ 2.4.1. Here's a graph from my run on the beach this morning. Claimed altitude range -27 to -1 m, but the graph shows flat +51m. (And at a guess, my real altitude change was roughly +5 to -1 m)
  • Here's another run on the beach. I was running within a metre or two of the water's edge virtually the entire time, and ran up a dune towards the end. This altitude data is a lot different from my last run, but not even close to right.
  • Ok, now I have been consulting both Garmin Europe (UK) and Garmin Sweden regarding incorrect barometric altitude readings and floor(stair) counting. Both came to the same conclusion, my VA3 needs to be replaced. My altitude error is not software related.

Kindly enough, Garmin Europe did recommend to sent the VA3 back to the retailer so I could get a new in box replacement since it's only two months old. Otherwise, if you return a device for replacement directly to Garmin you will get a NOH (Newly OverHauled refurbished returned preowned device).

Let's see if the new device will work longer than one month. To be continued...
  • I solved the issue with my VA3's incorrect altitude measurements. TL;DR: disable GLONASS.

I manually calibrated the altimeter on the beach at mid-tide and my next run was still way off (which makes sense, because the altimeter is not used when you're doing an activity with GPS enabled). I then did another two runs on the same beach separated by only a few minutes. One was inaccurate as per my previous graphs, and one was perfect. The difference: turning off GLONASS on the one that worked.
  • Just disabled GLONASS on the first day - no better results. I think it's another bug. Also tried the beta firmware, same problem with the wrong altitude.
  • Well - I always thought, GPS is delivering the Altitude? My altitude - when using GPS - is always correct. Is there a way to show the altitude without using the GPS functionality during an activity?