This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch face display delay for ConnectIQ faces..

Had a Venu for a few weeks now and something has been bugging me.. the delay for the screen turning on with either a button press or gesture. Any faces that are preloaded have no delay in activating the screen, whereas any face loaded on by ConnectIQ will have a 3-4 second delay Rolling eyes Spoke to customer support and all they could say is that it is due to a limitation of the hardware and would only offer me a refund. I know this is their first watch with an amoled screen but surely the technology has matured enough that they could have sorted this out before launching the watch. I've had samsung, lg, fitbit and even mi fit watches/bands and never had delays like this watch. 

Will this ever be addressed or are we stuck with it?

• As this strikes me too, I just checked I few designs which leads to the following conclusion:

When the watch wakes up it initializes the display. This includes background, widgets, data fields, etc.

As a result simple watchface with minimalistic background, no gradients, few graphical effects and simple data being visualized (eg. no calculations on data fields) come up very quickly. The more action on the watch the longer it takes to initialize. Configuration of wach faces also seems to have impact - a highly configurable design has a higher impact on performance.

The same applies for watchfaces created with the Face-It designer. All of these take long as they probably run through certain additional layers.

Garmin probably knows some hints what not do to when programming watchfaces so they get around the pitfalls of longer wakeup times. However this is something every watchface designer can benefit from.

• I'm happy to report that the recent Venu SW update 4.90 mitigates this issue for the most part! I'm seeing a much shorter delay on most ConnectIQ watch faces, which makes them much more useable!

THANKS GARMIN

• Oh, yes, this is correct.

Can't stop flicking my wrist to turn it on :)

• I agree. It is really better.

• Since the update, it's indeed much better. Not perfect, still a noticable delay, but now it's usable!

• I switched to a Face It face that I still had stored (a face with my own photo).  It sure does load faster but it also seems that my battery is dying much faster.  Coincidence?  Due to the face?  Or due to the update?   It's certainly losing quite a bit of battery given I haven't used the GPS in days.