Vector 3 and Auto Zero

The topic of the auto-zero feature has come up several times both here and or other forums. The following is a brief summary of how it works, when auto-zero is enabled:

When the Vector pedals are woken up (by turning the cranks), the pedals will try to do an auto-zero. This will succeed if the pedals are stationary for the requisite time (usually less than ten seconds) and the bike is reasonably upright. The pedals will also try to do an auto-zero immediately before going to sleep (four minutes after the last pedaling stroke).
Auto-zero will fail if the bike is not upright, if motion was detected, or if the offset shift is too large (which could be caused by a pedal leaning on something).

Auto-zero can be enabled or disabled from an ANT+ bike computer that has the requisite user interface features and sends the standard control messages.

This does not change any of the manual zero features. You can still do a manual static zero calibration at any time, and you can configure many of the current Edge and Forerunner computers to automatically remind you to calibrate, when they connect to a power meter.

Note that the auto zero will only shift the existing zero offsets a limited amount. Thus, when you install the pedals, you should still do a manual zero calibration at that point to get the pedals into a range where the auto zero will track any further changes.
  • Thanks for the report.
    1. There is a known issue where Vector 3 will not connect to Android phones with GCM version 4.5. A new version is imminent.
    2. We have seen other reports of the cranklength being set to 222 mm in conjunction with connection to a Wahoo Elemnt. We are investigating that.
    3. The torque offset number is a reasonable value... the problem is that the Elemnt is not translating from raw values to N-m. If the offset value is a small value then the N-m of torque is (value / 32)
    If the offset values are large (typically over 65000) then it's actually a negative value. So the torque in N-m = ((value - 65536)/32) . Garmin head units do this math for you.
    4. The firmware upgrade for Vector 3 will be out hopefully later this week. First upgrade your phone to the new version of GCM, then you should be able to use your phone to upgrade your pedal.

The firmware upgrade cleans up some of the settings interaction and it *may* resolve the problems you are seeing with the crank length settings on the Elemnt. Again, we are still in the process of investigation on that issue. The GCM app can update the crank length but it may be that the Elemnt keeps forcing it back.
  • I have a Vector 3S running 3.30 and a Wahoo Element Bolt. Auto-zero is turned on via the GCM iOS. Do I still need to use the manual calibration feature in the Elemnt or can I just rely on auto-zero?
  • Do I still need to use the manual calibration feature in the Elemnt or can I just rely on auto-zero?

The auto zero has a limited range of adjustment in order to prevent an inadvertent auto zero, while the pedals are loaded, from making a huge change. This is why you must do at least one manual zero calibration after re-installing the pedals. The auto zero will take care of day to day minor changes in zero offset but if you doubt the output of the pedals then doing a manual calibration is a good idea.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    Can I just ask how this works with the Wahoo Bolt?

Once you turn rotate them (clockwise or counterclockwise or does it matter? They both appear in the sensor list, initially one pedal and then other (in my case as I have the dual-sided Vector 3 pedals).

In the Garmin Connect (android) app you have the option to select the auto zero, does this mean that if switched it, it calibrates the pedals when they get turned on for the first time as I've mentioned above?

In my Wahoo Bolt - when you select the pedals from the paired devices list, you also have the option to Calibrate - when I do this, I get a zero offset value of 0. How does this work with auto zeroing of the pedals in the GC app?

Thanks

Joe
  • I don't think you see two pedals. Do they show the same ID code? What you might be seeing is one ANT+ and one BLE channel. Both of those come from the left pedal, since it aggregates the data from the right and left sensors.

If auto zero is switched on, the pedals will try to do a zero calibration when they go to sleep, and when they are subsequently woken up. Independently of that, you can do a manual zero calibration anytime you like. The Bolt may only show the calibration result code, in which case zero indicates success.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    I don't think you see two pedals. Do they show the same ID code? What you might be seeing is one ANT+ and one BLE channel. Both of those come from the left pedal, since it aggregates the data from the right and left sensors.

If auto zero is switched on, the pedals will try to do a zero calibration when they go to sleep, and when they are subsequently woken up. Independently of that, you can do a manual zero calibration anytime you like. The Bolt may only show the calibration result code, in which case zero indicates success.

Thank you.

I do see two pedals sometimes, very clearly "Left Pedal" and "Right Pedal". The Wahoo just shows battery status but one Ant+ channel. In the app they have different codes.

But then the right drops out sometimes, just showing Left Pedal, and I'll check the pedal balance whilst pedaling and right is still working (just in case of all those right sensor missing worries...)

Is that anything to worry about?

Thanks re calibration, that's clear.

• When I do a manual calibration, the watch tells me to make sure I am unclipped. But everytime the pedals pair to the watch, they prompt me to perform a calibration but when I say yes it does not tell me to unclip. I'm assuming I'm still supposed to unclip right?
  • When I do a manual calibration, the watch tells me to make sure I am unclipped. But everytime the pedals pair to the watch, they prompt me to perform a calibration but when I say yes it does not tell me to unclip. I'm assuming I'm still supposed to unclip right?

Yes, you right!
  • Please allow me to Zero Offset my V3 pedals from GCM. It's madness that I can set-up, install, register a warranty, update firmware over BL from GCM, but I need to dig out a head-unit to zero offset!?