Vector 3 and Auto Zero

The topic of the auto-zero feature has come up several times both here and or other forums. The following is a brief summary of how it works, when auto-zero is enabled:

When the Vector pedals are woken up (by turning the cranks), the pedals will try to do an auto-zero. This will succeed if the pedals are stationary for the requisite time (usually less than ten seconds) and the bike is reasonably upright. The pedals will also try to do an auto-zero immediately before going to sleep (four minutes after the last pedaling stroke).
Auto-zero will fail if the bike is not upright, if motion was detected, or if the offset shift is too large (which could be caused by a pedal leaning on something).

Auto-zero can be enabled or disabled from an ANT+ bike computer that has the requisite user interface features and sends the standard control messages.

This does not change any of the manual zero features. You can still do a manual static zero calibration at any time, and you can configure many of the current Edge and Forerunner computers to automatically remind you to calibrate, when they connect to a power meter.

Note that the auto zero will only shift the existing zero offsets a limited amount. Thus, when you install the pedals, you should still do a manual zero calibration at that point to get the pedals into a range where the auto zero will track any further changes.
  • The Auto Zero in Garmin Connect Mobile should stay on. We have reported this issue and will update the thread when we have it fixed.
  • Shawn, or anyone else, I suppose:

Do the Vectors auto zero during ride activity despite the GMC app showing the auto zero feature is deactivated? I manually calibrate my vectors at the start of each ride, but am wondering if they auto zero then on. I'm using a Wahoo Element Bolt paired with dual-side vectors.

Thanks, Greg
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    Auto-Zero is part of the ANT+ power profile so it depends on whether Wahoo have implemented it. Currently as the GCM setting is not retained the pedals will not perform an auto-zero unless the Bolt switches that feature on. Garmin is working on a fix for the GCM settings issue.

Auto-Zero should not be necessary if you zero the pedals at the start of the ride.

See post #1 in this thread for when an auto-zero may get performed.
  • I have found that my Edge 520 settings override the GCM settings. For example, using GCM I would turn on torque effectiveness but the Edge would disable it since the Edge default was set to off. The easy solution was to use the Edge to change this setting and it's been fine since. I imagine that the auto-zero issue above is similar.
  • I'm currently trying to get my Vector 3s working with my Garmin Edge 500. I know that this is not officially compatible, but it seems to almost work...

Once calibrated (with a borrowed Edge 520), the 500 seems to pick up the power data perfectly well. The numbers look in line with both the 520 and with Zwift. It seems that the only thing the Edge 500 cant do is a manual calibration (the option to calibrate appears, but it never seems to complete.) A couple of questions:

1. From the above discussion, am I right in thinking that if I set auto-zero the Vector 3 should happily stay calibrated, at least until I need to change the batteries?

2. Is there any way to trigger a manual calibration without buying or borrowing a 520? For example from my pc via my ant+ dongle, or from a mobile app?

3. In general, am I on to a loser trying to get it working with a 500?
  • I'll find a 500 and try to replicate what you're seeing. There should be no incompatibility in the manual calibration process.
    You should make sure that you're at the latest software version for the Edge: I think it's 3.30
    With the Edge 500 specifically, there is a problem where some operations do not work properly when the Edge is searching for other ANT peripherals. So if you have a heart rate monitor paired to the Edge, or a speed/cadence sensor, you must make sure those devices are present and operating or you may see problems such as you describe. The other remedy is to go into the Edge sensor menu and disable/remove the pairing to those other devices.
  • Thanks for the fast response - so it should be compatible should it? That's good news, as there's no reference to 500 in the manuals, and also telephone support thought that it wasn't compatible. (Although they weren't entirely sure). I'll try the remedy with the other devices
  • Thanks for the fast response - so it should be compatible should it?

I brought in my 500 this morning and verified that calibration does work OK using the Edge 500. As I expected, I did have to make sure the Edge was not searching for other peripherals (speed/cadence sensor or HRM) at the time. Otherwise the calibration hangs due to radio contention.

As regards compatibility: The Edge 500 and Vector 3 are compatible in all the features that the Edge 500 supports (i.e. all of the ANT+ bike power profile features that were current at the time that the Edge 500 was in production and undergoing active firmware maintenance).

You can record and display power, cadence, and balance, as well as workout metrics such as AP/NP and TSS. You can configure the crank length in the bike profile and initiate zero offset calibration. The calibration display only returns success/failure, it does not show the current applied torque the way the newer head units do.
  • Back on March 2 Shawn from Garmin wrote that the Auto-zero offset control in the GC Mobile Device settings is not working properly. I just want to add that since the FW version 3.0 upgrade, not only Auto Zero Offset is not working properly but neither is TE/PS setting. I suggest Garmin test the stickiness of all device settings before they release firmware or software. Garmin's history of shoddy software releases with bugs is really getting tiring. I know it's not constructive to complain, but the ongoing issues on many of their devices over the past years, and Garmin's lack of any software/firmware quality control improvement is getting really tiring and I am about to make the emotional jump and consider other products besides garmin.
  • Hello, I just got my V3 S last week and tested them on my Wahoo Kickr. First 15' 20/25w above my Kickr, and then I did a new lap and after 10' (in ERG mode) they had only 3watts defference between them. So I was really happy with that result...

Next day I went out for a recovery ride. I calibrated inside since my bike was still on the kickr. Offset 0. There was my first fault. I should've calibrated outside. It was +-15° temperature difference. When I started the ride, the wattage was TO low. with a strond headwind, doing 30km/h and only barely touching 150w, I knew this could not be correct. So I did a new calibration and after that all seemed correct. So up to this point, everything seemed correct.

This is the hardware I use, because from here on the troubles started;
    Cellphone -> android samsung S8 plus
    Crancks -> Sram Force
    Headunit -> Wahoo Elemnt

Next day I went out for a 130km endurance ride and because I said to the vectorvendor/friend/trainer, who also came along on the ride, that I had some problems the day before said I should check for the settings for the cranklength.
    I tried to connect with my mobile app and spend 45!!! minutes at it. In that time I was able to connect 2 times with the vectors.
    The screen freezed on the your vector 3 is being connected ( but then in dutch ;-) ) I could only connect 2 times with it in the whole time I tried it. Because its new I messed around to see what is what. When I entered the Scalefactor left. I got a window with 1.0 But when I got back to the main window it said the input was wrong. I couldent reset it. I even don't remember howmuch it was when I closed it.

The next day I calibrated before I left, outside offcourse, and I got "Calibration Compleet Torque Offset 65532....
    When I left, it was abnormal. When I sligthly touched the pedals the wattage skyrocket to +300w. Everytime I touched the pedals with a fraction of more power then when you pace at your normal Warmupspeed, it would go to 280/340 and so on. After 30' of riding I had 260avg watts and 295NP, when it should've bin around 210+-

When I meet up with my trainer and explained he connected his -> Iphone <- trough the connect app and instantly connect with my vectors. checked the cranklength, wich where on 222.0
    The Scalefactor was correct on 1.0

after that I calibrated and again 65532

Back home I tried everything.
    Connect with my GF phone, a -> Iphone <-, got a instant connection. the crancklength was always set back at 222.0
    I wend for a test after, with a calibration, without a calibration.... Everytime after I connected and set it straight in the app.
    always the same outcome ----> Calibration Compleet Torque Offset 65532

Today I called to the Garmin helpdesk and he had NEVER heard of any of my complaints or findings.
    Never had a complaint about a android that had problems connecting.
    Never had a Torque offset of 65532

He did tell me to do a Factory hard reset....
    By getting the battery's out, reversing both the battery's and putting it back together for 10seconds. (NOT LONGER)

So I did that, and you wont believe it Torque Offset 28

But it didn't changed anything.
    I had the power of a PRO rider...

Later that day, the vendor/trainer called his contact at garmin and explained and told me that he had to send them back and I would get a new pair.
    But he would try them out first on his bike...
    So he did, with Ultegra 6800 crancks and a garmin edge 1000. and ok, it was only a short ride because of heavy rain. Everything seemed right at first sight.

He will test them again, with also a wahoo, stages dash, 4iiii, and a garmin 1000. to see what it gives over a descend ride.

He had problems in the past with the Sram force/red cranks and the earlied Garmin Vector (1/2)

So I know its a long read, and sorry for the many errors in the typing (I'm dutch)
    But I hope somebody has a explanation or pointers or anything...

Android won't connect, iphone does it instantly
    everytime I connect with the app it says 222.0 cranklength
    every time I calibrate I get a 65532 Torque Offset

Kind regards