Dropouts continue with new doors (and new batteries)

I believe I am still getting dropouts on almost every ride with the vector 3. This occurs less on the turbo (kickR). My battery life is also poor - around 40-50hr each set, I am using LR44 (Varta).
I do not have the pedals connected to GCM. Right sensor missing is less frequent since changing the doors, as is the apparently spurious low battery warning, still getting the odd spike too but less impressive. Low ambient temperature is not the reason ( we have been having a summer heatwave for once) Can I send in some fit files for analysis? I have followed all of the instructions from the service document. Andy
  • andydowns sorry for the delay. I missed you PM. I'll reply now.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    Two rides over in 3 days and the pedals are junk. Power spikes, and dropouts. I've already spoken to you (Garmin) about what I should do, and having been advised to overhaul them, taking out the spindles, re-greasing, torqueing correctly (in both directions), and re-using them - I can confirm I am still experiencing dropouts and powerspikes.

Two files where you can see power spikes and dropouts are attached.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2968660929

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2968664491

Ideally I'd like a complete refund from Garmin.
  • My Vector 3 pedals have started to intermittently drop ANT+ power. They have new batteries and the upgraded battery doors. I use them indoors with Zwift and a Wahoo kickr 18. Typically Zwift finds all devices and I can start my session, but maybe 20 mins or more in, I lose power and cadence (which are both the Vectors). My HRM continues to work and my Kickr (all ANT+). In zwift, the Vectors are there but say 'no signal' and Zwift can't detect if I try to find them again.

I did a Zwift session last night where I used kickr power and paired by vectors to my 520. I had no data loss from the HRM, Wahoo cadence sensor or kickr during the Zwift session, but the garmin recorded dropouts from the vectors. Example fit file attached.

I cannot find the Vectors on my Garmin 520 at this time either, however later I can pair successfully again.. I've checked the battery doors and they are just snug tightened. Firmware version 3.5

I notice also that the lights on the pedals flash red and green during this time.

These were a big investment and I do expect them to be functioning after a short period of ownership.

EDIT: the fit file example showed intermittent drop outs, but I had much longer drop outs and what I think could be categorised as a full disappearance of the data!
  • An update related to my issue, UK support have made contact following Shawn's intervention. The pedals go back today for exchange. the refurbed replacement have a warranty that is not less than 90 days also honouring the original warranty whichever is longer. Given this is two years from original purchase I was happy with that.
  • The pedals were announced in September, where are you getting 2 years from? Your replacement pedals are
    covered for the remainder of the original pedals warranty period, it’s not an additional year on top of your original purchase date. I.e. If you had originally purchased on Jan 1 2018 you would have 4 months of warranty left on your replacement pedals.

Edit: My bad, I didn't realize that the pedals have a 2 year warranty. Not sure why I thought it was only 1 year...
  • my pedals work fine from first day. with old and new battery doors. first set of batteries replaced after 70 hours. 2nd set energizers with no probs.
  • I installed the new battery doors back in June. No issues at all, until last Saturday (8/25), the left pedal stopped working. The right pedal LED flashes green 3 times. I swapped batteries. No change. I swapped battery doors. No change. I've attached the .fit file from the race I did last week, where I noticed no left power after the race. Any thoughts on why the Garmin 3 left pedal stopped working?
  • As i've been using the new doors with new batteries, drop outs and power spikes have been appearing more and more again.
    When batteries are new there is no problem but with time, it appears the black spot on the battery surface and i think it is the main problem, causing low battery warnings, drop outs and power spikes due to the bad contact between both batteries and the pedal contacts.

--> we need a good and real solution now
  • As i've been using the new doors with new batteries, drop outs and power spikes have been appearing more and more again.
    When batteries are new there is no problem but with time, it appears the black spot on the battery surface and i think it is the main problem, causing low battery warnings, drop outs and power spikes due to the bad contact between both batteries and the pedal contacts.

--> we need a good and real solution now

I think that the best solution for now is use CR1/3N batteries. I have been using these for the last 10 rides without problems.