No power just cadence !!!

Just installed my new Vector 3S and all I can get is cadence. Will register 40+W if I go flat out otherwise it reads 0 or something <15W. Have tried 2x 510 head units, a 920xt and Fenix 5 as well as GC on iPhone, same results. Have tried taking the battery cover off and reconnecting but still nothing. Pretty pi**ed as I'm of to IMNZ on Wednesday and all I've got to show for $850 are a couple of paperweights.
Any ideas?
  • FYI,I just done a calibration of my vector3s thru the method as described above from my Wahoo Elemnt.
    Pedals seem to be showing correct reading again.
    Thanks to all for the help and ideas, much appreciated.
  • Hi,
    I've been searching the net for a while but I couldn't come to an answer. I bought a Vector 3s last week and installed on my bike. I paired and calibrated it succesfully with GC app and my Edge 820. But I cannot see the power reading. It reads "0" all the time. I rode for 48 kms, during the ride it all gave "0" reading. I removed and added again and again, even reset 820 but there is no power response from vector. I also paired with zwift. As for the cadence sensor zwift found vector3s also. It gives the cadence value but no power data again. What can be the reason for it? Best regards
  • Hi,
    It gives the cadence value but no power data again. What can be the reason for it? Best regards

Is your pedal paired using ANT or BLE? On your 820, if you navigate to the sensor settings, your power meter is going to be described either as V3: xxxxxxx or V3 BLE:xxxxxxx where the x's designate the ID etched on the pedal spindle. You might try to remove the pedal both from the GC app and the 820, then re-add it to the 820 only by searching for it. If the 820 gives you the option to also search for ANT sensors, select that first, then select the ANT connection for your V3s pedal. After that, do a zero offset calibration and see if it works properly. if it does not, could you post the .fit activity log here, or send it to [email][email protected][/email]?
  • Hi all,
    I have just bought a new pair of Garmin Vector 3's (double-sided) and am afraid I am having the same issue as described above...
    I have tried the steps above, but no luck.

I am using an Edge 520 head unit.

Backstory is:
    When I installed the pedals onto my bike, I noticed the right-sided pedal wasn't displaying any LED flashing. Edge 520 Unit couldn't locate it. So presumed it was a battery issue.
    Swapped left-side pedal batteries, which was flashing and connecting, into the right-sided pedal to confirm this and so it proved: right pedal lit upwith these batteries, left-sided pedal didn't.

I went to the shop to buy more batteries, and thought I would try out the left-sided pedal power at the same time; at the beginning of riding, just after I'd calibrated, I got a 'low power meter battery' warning from my unit.
    So, it appears I was sent pedals with not-working/low life batteries.

Anyhow, replaced the batteries with 4 new ones (2x each pedal), but found the battery cover hard to get back on. I was very gentle, and eventually it went on.
    Once out riding, I am getting cadence readings pretty much 100% of the time, but power readings only popped up for a second or two, before disappearing. Ride data for this here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3331087146

I've since tried multiple trouble-shooting options but nothing has worked.

Very frustratingly, there seems to be no Garmin Support available on weekends. Would anyone be able to help with some advice? Would be so grateful. Should I just ask the shop to send me another pair to try?

Thanks!
    Josh
  • The behavior that you describe is consistent with the pedals not having the correct zero offset values. Have you done a zero calibration using your Edge?
  • thanks for the help
    Yes, I have done calibration multiple times.
    I've also tried taking off auto-zero offsetting, and tried it with it on. Calibration is nearly always successful, and yet no power readings...
  • When you do the calibration, does it report torque numbers after it finishes? If so, press on each of the pedal(s), one at a time, and see if the numbers increase. They should go positive if you press on the pedal in a direction that would make the cranks turn. If you do this with the bike set up in a trainer, then use the rear brake to keep the wheel (and cranks) from turning. If you lean on the opposite pedal to stop the cranks from turning, that will result in zero net torque, so don't do that.

If you have the pedals paired with a Garmin Connect Mobile app on a phone, then (at least temporarily) remove the pedals from the phone device list, to simplify the connections.
  • thanks again for trying to help, really appreciate it. In answer to your questions:

1. "When you do the calibration, does it report torque numbers after it finishes? If so, press on each of the pedal(s), one at a time, and see if the numbers increase. They should go positive if you press on the pedal in a direction that would make the cranks turn". > Yep, it does report torque numbers (usually like -0.67, 0, something like that), and the numbers increased when I clipped in and pushed forward slightly. Haven't got a trainer so wouldn't know about the other thing.

2. If you have the pedals paired with a Garmin Connect Mobile app on a phone, then (at least temporarily) remove the pedals from the phone device list, to simplify the connections. < Yes, my friend (who has vectors) already gave me that tip. I tried it, and I got power numbers for maybe a few seconds to begin with, before they then dropped out again as before....
  • FYI, i've returned these under warranty and have been given another pair, so hopefully those were just a faulty pair. thanks for your help anyway!