This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Index Scale - Problems out of the box

Before you buy that bitchin' new Garmin Fitness​ index scale for Christmas...Here are my first impressions:

The set up on this seems very simple and straight forward out of the box. However, wi-fi and Bluetooth connection problems have turned what should be a very cool scale into a minor pain in the ass.

I've already returned one scale because the Bluetooth didn't connect. The data is supposed to sync via wi-fi but after getting a replacement scale that the data does not sync to Garmin Connect Mobile. I finally for the Wi-Fi to work on the 2nd scale and had to leave it on overnight when, at some point, it finally did an over the air software update to version 2.30.0.0. Also, I find that I have to keep resetting the Wi-Fi connection through Garmin Connect Mobile, because even though the data is showing on the Garmin Connect desktop site it does NOT show on Garmin Connect Mobile.

Another issue was with adding a "guest" user (my wife). When I had to reset the connection, her connection was completely lost in the scale even though the scale still showed up in her Garmin Connect. The scale didn't have her listed as a user so it wouldn't send her data to Garmin Connect. After trying to reset it over and over again, signing out and back in to Garmin Connect Mobile and desktop, turning phones off and on again...I still wasn't able to re-add my wife.

I'll go back home after work and try to reset everything again. If I can't, I'll call support before returning this 2nd scale. I really want it to work because I like the idea of having my body data all in the same place as my activities. But so far, this seems like a typical Garmin hardware launch where major disappointments in performance immediately present themselves.

UPDATE 12/1/15: Yesterday there was an update to Garmin Connect Mobile which appears to have helped the set up process and the refresh by pulling down on the weight screen on GCM. My scale is now operating correctly for both my wife and me. Although it is about a 1/2 pound different than our old scale. We are just going with it. I just hope it doesn't become disconnected so I have to go through all of that again. Fingers crossed.
  • What worked for me

So I was having problems with my scale as well. It would tell me via Garmin Connect on my iPhone that the scale had joined the wireless network. However the scale would never go past the wrench and when turned on the wifi icon would flash and then the X in the far right corned would come up. Also looking at my router I saw no new devices on the network.

This is what I did:

I enabled 2.4Ghz for my guest network and set a simple password, my other network had a special character in it and I think that was the issue. I have too many devices connected to go through and change the password to my main network so I simply let the scale connect to the guest wireless with the simple password and it is working now.

I hope this helps someone and I hope Garmin will address the issue or at least verify that special characters in the SSID and/or password are OK.
  • WiFi and Setup Issues

Trying to set up new Garmin Index Scale with my smartphone, all goes well until getting to WiFi set up. Garmin Connect App finds the WiFi network, which I select, I enter password - which is accepted by Garmin Connect, after a few seconds I get the error Message "NETGEAR was not found. Please try again". Any thoughts? Thanks

I was able to get past the WiFi error message ['routername' was not found. Please try again]. I did this by using a newer router with a shorter password. (i needed to update router anyway). Garmin Connect mobile did finish the setup and the scale now shows as a device (WiFi Setup Complete)

Now the issue is that the setup Wrench will not go away on the scale. After entering the WiFi details and completing the setup in Garmin Connect Mobile, the scale went black (turned off), during this time the scale would show up as a network device in the router software. After about 10 minutes the scale dropped from the WiFi Network and the scale display went back to the setup screen. I've tried removing the device from Garmin Connect, I removed batteries from scale numerous times and still no success.

Garmin direct (desktop version) shows a firmware upgrade pending [Ver 2.50]

Thanks for any help...
  • Index Scale and Nexus 6 (Android Marshmallow 6.0 OS)

The Garmin Connect Mobile app (v3.1.3) for Android will not pair via Bluetooth to the Scale on my Nexus 6 phone (2014 model, not the 6P) with Android Marshmallow OS 6.0 (rooted).
    (An friend's Nexus 6 phone has the same results, so its not my phone's particular hardware that is the problem)

Note: The app has no problems talking to my VivoSmart HR band on my Nexus 6 phone. Bluetooth works fine for uploading data, and syncing phone notifications and weather to the VivoSmart HR.

The app sees the Scale since the Bluetooth searching countdown stops, it it moves onto Setting Up Device, but then never proceeds. (The OS's regular Bluetooth device search also finds the Index Scale... but you can't pair that way)
    During this process, the Scale will show the bluetooth icon for a about 10 seconds, then go back to flashing all the radio icons (bluetooth, ANT, WiFi), then back to Bluetooth only for about 10 seconds, over and over again in a cycle.
    I've read other suggestions (on the forums, and in Amazon reviews) that turning off other nearby bluetooth devices can help this process, but that has not helped me.

The Scale has no problem with WiFi using WPS setup for me. When I use the Garmin website to link the scale to my account via the Scale's serial number, it links and the devices page usually says the scale has software version 0.0.0.0. On one refresh of the webpage, I saw the webpage say the scale version was 2.40.0.0. But repeated attempts still says 0.0.0.0. I've had to reset the scale many times to attempt smartphone pairing. This version reporting is another thing that Garmin should fix.

Since the scale uploads weight measurements via WiFi, I guess I'll have to leave it this way... with my Nexus 6 not paired with the phone.

I used an older smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4 (Sprint) with stock Sprint-Android 5.0.1 firmware , but not under contract, so just WiFi connectivity), and this phone can pair with the scale just fine, and the app can proceed to further configuration screens (view/change WiFi settings for the Scale, etc).

On the Garmin smartphone compatibilty webpage ( support.garmin.com/.../case.faces )
    The Android page has * indication for the Index Scale for every Android phone model, meaning "Device and phone combination have not been tested".
    Wow.. Garmin didn't test any Android phones before releasing this product?

Hopefully Garmin will fix compatibility with Android Marshmallow 6.0 OS soon, since other major carriers are beginning to offer this OS upgrade.

Anyone else with a Nexus 6 (or 6P)... or any other model with Android Marshmallow OS 6.0.x have success with the Index Scale?
  • I have a Nexus 6P and connect to the Scale with it.
    Have not had any problems with that as of yet.

My Problem is with the WLAN settings and keeping them.
    I have another Thead hier:
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?344901-Wifi-Problem

I have tried many different settings on my router and even changed the router out. I tried an extra Access points and a Repeatern....no luck
    My First scale would loose the Wlan Connection after 3-4 Days.....
    I let Garmin Germany Change my scale out, now the new scale is even worse!
    I have had it for three days and every morning I have to set up the WLAN again.

Just connecting my Nexus to the scale and then exiting (Not changing anything) gets the WLAN connection going again...NOT FUNNY AT ALL!

Garmin, please fix this!
    If anyone else is having the same issue, please join my thread....

Tim
  • Index syncing issues

My scales were a pain to setup. Managed toget them setup with one user, the data transfers to Garmin Connect but not training peaks or myfitness pal?? I would expect a lot better product for the price.
  • Connection issues aside, is anyone of you (non-athlete types) getting reliable data out of the scale??
  • Help!

Did any one solve this??? I cant conect to the wifi.... its impossible!!
  • Index scale

Help my index smart scale is stuck on the wrench icon, it stays on the screen all the time and won't allow a factory reset. What do I do??.
  • Me too

Only wrench sign. Neighter hard reset nor guest network or router changing can corrected. Disappointed!!
  • Can't upgrade firmware, doesn't communicate w/ Garmin Connect

Problems right out of the box. I was able to setup my scale using Bluetooth on my iPhone and Garmin Connect Mobile. It shows that WiFi configuration was completed successfully. However, whenever I try and use the scale, it shows the wrench icon, and an "X" in the upper right corner. It never communicates any data to Garmin Connect. It is also stuck at firmware v2.40.0.0 (according to Garmin Connect desktop) and I can not get it to upgrade the firmware.

Garmin Customer support was of no help. After 45 minutes on the phone they claim it's a known problem and added my email to a list. They are sending me an ANT stick, but as far as I know that will not accomplish anything, since firmware is upgraded through WiFi, not Bluetooth.