This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Life Expectancy 935 and battery

Well, my 935 turns 5 years old this month and recenltly I have had more blank screens and BSODs than befoer and it goes through the battery faster.
But the darned thing always comes back.
I am debating on replacing it with a Vivoactive 4 [which should be adequate for me in terms of features]
Any insights on the actual life expectancy of these things?  It is tempting to buy a new watch on the other hand...........

• I'm using 13.30 with GPS version 2.70 and getting 20 hours GPS battery life. Some GPS versions enable Galileo satellite use, but I know that if the firmware doesn't support it then it won't show regardless. 13.30 only shows GPS and Glonass on mine.

I have copies of other GPS versions, including 4.40, an older GPS version to 2.70 due to Garmin's strange numbering system. It is possible to downgrade GPS version, but as I don't see any negative with 13.30 + 2.70 I don't need to do this again. I did this on my last watch. This current watch is a warranty replacement for the usual heart rate cracking and altimeters failing.

• I have some racing coming up next weeks. Maybe after that I’ll give it a try. 

• If you are handy with a heat gun or hairdryer then it is possible to replace the battery in the 935 yourself. I don't think the newer watches are any better for GPS tracking. The 955, 945 and Fenix7 all have awful software and numerous GPS bugs. ifixit has a teardown of a 825 and 235. The 935 is not so different from those to dismantle.

• Yes, I know about teardowns. Watched them for iPhones, iPods, old palm handhelds.

They all have the same problem: they stop at them moment the battery can be replaced. None tell you how to get the thing back into 1 piece.

But if it’s bugs that bother you: buy a simpler watch, like a polar. Less features means less complicated software, means less bugs.

• Hi, these links seem to have expired, can you please renew them?

• I renewed this for you. When you downgrade to 13.30 using this file your GPS chipset file will appear as out of date, but will still work. If you are unhappy with GPS performance, which I do not expect to happen, then you can plug your watch into your computer and use Garmin Express to update only the GPS chipset file. Do not click"'install all" in garmin express, just click only to install the GPS update file.

The file 13.30 for 935 GCUPDATE.GCD has been uploaded to this website: temp send dot com slash aasxs

for anybody else reading, the file expires in 1 year from today, it's the longest duration possible.

• These files have expired. The new website GUPDATE.GCD is:

https://tempsend.com/aasxs

Watch: 935  (not APAC version, I think)

Version: 13.30

Method of downgrade: file version entry within firmware changed to a high number, so it will install over version 20 or 21 or 22 without fail.

• Thanks buddy! I sold my FR935 but I know the guy who bought it so I'll offer this to him..Thanks again!

• Amigo, voce tem para versao apac, o meu esta na versao 21 e nao conecta gps.

• Amigo, nao estou conseguindo baixar o arquivo, ao clicar para download aparece varios caracteres