This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Open water swim issue

Since few days ago, my 935 device won't measure accurately open water swim distance. It's basically an euphemism for won't measure at all. I swam today 2.5 km over 1 hour and measured distance was 3 m. Since two of my friends who own 935 also have the same issue for the last couple of weeks, I wanted to see if this is a common thing with 935. I don't recall any software updates that would be the root cause. Had an olympic distance triathlon race on Saturday and everything was fine then.

• Obviously lost the signal at the turn and picked it up when you stood up at the end. This seems to be something that appeared with the 935 this northern summer. When I was swimming in NZ last summer (October to March), the 935 was going well in the water. Although the track could be a bit haphazard, at least the signal was not lost. Clearly Garmin have changed something. Best thing to do is to report this to Garmin Support. There are a number of similar reports on other devices Marq, 945, and I think the 5+ series. 

• Garmin keeps on failing on the OW 

See here my results

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3988631495

I stopped sometimes (you see that when my stroke rate stops) But even then it cannot figure out the GPS. 

The morning clouds were not burned off yet at zuma beach. I assume it does not need clear skies to get a connection?

Damn it would be nice if they fix this issue. I have no clue what my pace was during a one hour ocean swim.

I have this gut feeling that a recent firmware update did mess it all up. But cannot exactly correlate the issue with a date.

• The latest GPS firmware beta (just released) claims to address OWS issues.

• Has anyone reading these forums tried the new beta GPS update (2.51)?

I'm still on watch fw 12.50 & GPS fw 2.50 and currently have no apparent issues with ows, and therefore do not want to upgrade until I'm certain the problems are ironed out.

/Dennis

• I do have 2.51beta in use. I have not noticed any issues so far. I have logged about 30 km of OWS with beta. I have not noticed any significant improvement either, total distance might be somewhat more consistently near my V800 reference from another wrist.

I have been quite satisfied for 935 OWS performance over 150 km of OW swimming logged in this year. Only when the conditions are rough by waves 935 starts to deviate more from V800 reference. The actual logged route points are still sparse even with beta, V800 plots much more detailed route covering all turns andeven small loops. FR935 tends just collect one route point here and there. It lefts large caps between points filled with straight lines that do not accurately present actual route, still total distance is good enough recorded for my needs. 

BTW, I use GPS+Galileo.

--

Paul

• Thanks for the update Thumbsup tone1

• I have a new 935 (replaced since my old one stopped recording elevation.  It is giving me some very crazy OWS readings.  I same a 5k last weekend (part of a SAA event) and it measured the distance as 3850 yds.  I swam another OWS this morning that it measured as 3074 yds - (I did the same swim with my old watch and it measure 4115 yds which I think is fairly accurate) including one 500 yd segment in 9:41min an one 500 yd segment in 26 min!  It is a 550 yd (roughly) loop course and even when I count strokes, it is pretty close to 260 strokes each way (I swim 25 strokes per 25 yds).  You can see where it looks like ai just stopped and hung out for several minutes - but the course map shows that I was swimming.   https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4123596441   I am going to call Garmin.

• Extended Prediction Orbit - basically Assisted-GPS data for quicker fix www.dcrainmaker.com/.../why-your-garmin-gps-is-better-off-taking-epo.html