This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wrist sensor in Auto Mode is always on

Hi,

I noticed that the wrist sensor on my 935 is always flashing when I wear the watch, even when it is not in use.

The settings of the sensor in on AUTO
Activity tracking is off
Simple watch face with no heart rate related data
No Widgets
No Activity or App running
Disconnect from Phone

So why is the sensor active?
Anybody has an explanation? is it by design?

I don't want to switch it completely off, because then it would require me to always manually switch it on before each activity.
I Was hoping that his was the purpose of the AUTO mode.
  • It’s not difficult, but when Joey tells you the 935 is designed to have the OHR on all the time, why should they allow people to turn it off? The data doesn’t hurt you and you can just ignore it. Personally I think the less options the better as it makes the watch less complicated and bewildering for people new to Garmin.

I agree data doesn't hurt me, Garmin way and the pointless flicker of lights make me hurt.
    The main idea of computers - automation - to free the person from routine tasks. I have to turn OHR on and turn off it back for some activities - and I just would like to get simple automation for this process.It's not rocket science.
  • Why do you *have to* turn if off for some activities?
  • Going into the settings menu to switch a sensor on or off may not be an issue for everyone, but I can imagine that people would prefer an specific mode "OHR only for activities" to make that automatic. There's always: https://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/ to submit that idea.
  • Is it really that simple?

I see at least 3 mutually exclusive solutions to this problem in this thread alone:

I can imagine that people would prefer an specific mode "OHR only for activities" to make that automatic

Reading between the lines, this global mode would apply for all activities.

---

But this poster only wants it for some activities:

I have to turn OHR on and turn off it back for some activities

So now we need a per-activity OHR setting, which of course will annoy people who wanted it to be global. (There's a complaint elsewhere that some watches have GLONASS as a per-activity setting when they wanted it to be global.) Or we could make it both global and per-activity, which will only increase complexity.

---

And of course, there's the solution which takes the original 2 options ("auto" and "off") and explodes them into 9 possible combos, because apparently simpler is not better:

solution : Wrist Heart Rate change request :
    • Watch Mode Settings : status ON / OFF / AUTO
    • Not Watch Mode Settings : status ON / OFF / AUTO
    And it doesn't even fully solve the problem it was originally supposed to solve (that the external HR strap connects to the watch while it's not being worn, after an activity), because if you set "watch mode settings" to "off", which is the whole point of this thread, then you still aren't preventing the HR strap from connecting. So now you need even more than 9 possible settings....

---

Is there any solution which will make everyone happy and not confuse/annoy existing users?

I'm def not opposed to feature requests or product improvements, but I have to disagree when people say that UI/UX changes are "simple". Relatively simple to implement perhaps, but not simple to optimally design. And it's not always simple to make everyone happy or to balance ease of use vs. functionality.

I totally prefer the way one could configure the original Fenix. With XML files. Simple configuration on the watch, more complex custom configurations with text editing. On every platform. Everyone happy!

That's very nice for power users but it doesn't solve the problem of automation/feature requests unless Garmin were to open up scripting/event triggers for config changes, which admittedly, would be very cool. It could almost be another kind of app, where hobbyists/devs could share their own little scripts to implement feature requests like this.
  • I have to turn OHR on and turn off it back for some activities

No. You don't have to. You choose to. I really cannot see what the problem is with leaving it on all the time. If you don't want to look at the 24/7 heart rate data, then don't.
  • But this poster only wants it for some activities

I'd like to say "some activities" = when external sensors not found
    and globally setting is ok.
    I really cannot see what the problem is with leaving it on all the time. If you don't want to look at the 24/7 heart rate data, then don't.

let's replace OHR to ... for example backlight:
    I really cannot see what the problem is with leaving BACKLIGHT on all the time. Why not? but for this option we have hardware and software hotkey, we have config with a lot of combos with activities/not, keys/alerts rules, timeout and etc. it is not difficult for users... and after 920 - this is very important new feature. And I'd like to say THANK YOU garmin for it.
    why for backlight we have these options and for OHR we have nothing - no have hot keys, no have any rules. just nothing.... mmm thanks for on/off switcher)
  • I really cannot see what the problem is with leaving BACKLIGHT on all the time. Why not?

And you really can't see a difference? Leave the backlight on 24/7 and see what that does to battery life. Use of the backlight will affect battery life.

I want to say something else, but sometimes, there is just no point arguing.
  • Use of the backlight will affect battery life.

LOL! but OHR won't affect battery life. You can discuss about difference this affecting - but this is illogical.

and if I remember - topics "make backlight work options for 920 like fenix" and you answered something like this user unfriendly post "you don't need this". so ugly...
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    Garmin way and the pointless flicker of lights make me hurt.

How do the lights "hurt" you? If you're wearing your watch correctly you won't see the lights. I've read your post and you haven't given a reason why you want or need the ability to turn off the sensor other than you don't use the data. OK, ignore the data. Where is the problem?
  • FWIW.. I don't have a problem with the OHR or on/off switching or anything related to that. But at night light leakage from the LEDs bothers me. Maybe the poster refers to that.
    This 'problem' is entirely due to how I prefer to wear the watch (not tight enough). So I switch the OHR off before going to sleep. That's one of the things I like a lot about the FR935: you CAN switch it on and off! My previous activity tracker (not a Garmin) didn't have that option.