This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to repair water damaged Forerunner 735XTs

I found this instruction how to take apart the Forerunner 735XT very helpful:

https://de.ifixit.com/Teardown/Garmin+Forerunner+735XT+Teardown/117852

I have several Forerunner 735XT whatches which do not work, which I bought on ebay as replacement watches. I asked myself, how to repair them. I found also this video very helpful, how to repair water damaged Vivoactive HR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAKbZ_Txm1E

Is not the major cause that a Garmin whatch stops working a water damage? Try to repair it by opening the watch, an blow the water out with a air pressure spray.

Is Garmins marketing about water resistance of their watches misleading? I read about frustrated users in the forum disappointed that their watches stopped working after use in water.

Should not Garmin be more clear about water resistance? Should Garmin not change their marketing by stating "Garmin garanties water resistance during waranty time", and not more, and not less?

• I ve been the victim of damaged Garmin watches 5 times in series. Rather  than to have a discounted replacement, It would be helpful to have some statistcs about water damaged watches. Garmin does not publish these data. So the only source are the user experience you can find in forums or in the internet. Water damage is probably rare. But still I was interested to find out in the Garmin forum which watches have the most water damage.

I found out in the Garmin forum, that there was an Australian how had I think four forerunner 735 replacements, probably a heavy user. He came to the conclusion, that these watches are not as water resistant as you might think.

Since I miself also had three damaged forerunner 735 which I bought on ebay, I came to the conclusion not to buy the forerunner 735 again. All three had a fog on the screen, probably the screen is damaged:

de.ifixit.com/.../117852

Rather than buying a discounted replacement, I m going for another type of watch were there are no user reports of water damage yet, and where the risk for water damage is lower with lesser buttoms to press as for instance with the Vivomove HR.

• After having my 735xt for less than two months, mine failed due to water damage. I had never swam with it but I do shower with it on.

• My hurt soul has recovered from the water damaged Forerunner 735 ers, but I don t know whether my trust will ever come back in the water resistance of the Forerunner 735 er model.

I became interested in the POLAR OH1 an pair it to my Forerunner 235 er or my Vivoactive 3 watches.

I will use my Forerunner 235 with the POLAR OH1 in water again, and let go of the Vivomove. It s a setup which is too complicated with an additional POLAR OH1.

As far as I ve seen, there where little user reports of water damaged Forerunner 235 or Vivoactive 3 watches.

• My 735XT also went berserk after less than 2 years, however with constant use at sea. I’ve called a local repair service and they’ve told me that this watch always gives in to water damage by 2 years of use, period. They could repair it, but only to be used in land activities...

• Two years isn't a bad run with constant sea use. Yeah, even a dive watch repair shot I went too said they couldn't make my watch waterproof again. Garmin may offer you a heavily discounted refurb or a discount on a newer model.