This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

645M freezes after saving Workout (FW 5.90)

My 645M freezes after every workout just after saving it. Spotify continues to play, but the watch is completely locked. The workout however is saved correctly and can be synced after killing the watch and turning it back on.

Be careful with 5.90!!!

• I just encountered this on my FR645 (no M) this morning. Was my third run since the update to 5.90 adn first time seeing this. Didn't realize it at first, wasn't until I went to take it off to shower and thought it wasn't yet 0700 on my watch (alas the clock on the wall showed it was 0729). Only the backlight button resulted in perceivable action. No other button presses were registered. I had to restart my watch to get it sorted.

All three runs since the update were part of a Garmin Coach workout and were initiated from the Coach widget on my watch. Not sure what changed for this morning's run to result in the freeze.

• It's intermittent as I've had several activities where it behaved as normal. 

• Second freeze for my 645 (no M) today since installing 5.90.  The first freeze happened the second or third workout after 5.90, then went for 7-8 workouts without any problems.

• Can unfortunately confirm this as well. Happened today for the first time (645M fw 5.90) - after saving the clock just hangs and light stays on until hard reset. 

• Same here, completely hung after saving a 10km race.

Also, that race was with a high HR and good speed, so I would expect it to update my lactate threshold. TrainingPeaks updated it as expected. Usually, both Garmin and TP update at the same time but now the Garmin is very lagged behind. This also seem to be due to the new firmware.

Former Member are you seeing these reports? Are you taking any actions?

And btw, I'm not satisfied with having to delete old fit files or doing a factory reset after my watch does a silent OTA upgrade. You'll have to do better than this.

• I opened a case with Garmin & they've asked me to do a full factory reset rather than make any attempt to figure out what is causing this problem that only appeared (for me anyway) with 5.90.  I have the err_log.txt file from the watch after it hung but they didn't even ask for that.

Have others who've experienced this problem operned cases as well? Would be interested to hear the outcome.

• Having to configure everyhing once again, entering credit cards, etc etc.... not very tempting, no. It would be better if they could implement the OTA update properly.

• I think we need a way to back up settings, data fields, but not garmin pay obviously.

• Here's a link to Garmin documentation to do a backup and restore of your 645 settings: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=hWholZ8uPZ6PboXu5Nf7d6

• See my post from a few days ago. Most people won't need to do a factory reset, just delete the FIT files.