This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How Garmin developers got Galloway's 10k training plan wrong

I set up a 10k training plan selecting Jeff Galloway as coach.

It is 3 activities per week, and has a nice progression EXCEPT the running activity which translates back to english, from norwegian, as "An easy run".

The exercises are:

• speed repetitions: repetitions of 800m that is quite hard. I'm currently doing x12 of them, and each repetition it high lvl4 pulse rate.
  • hills repetition: 15sec up and 15 sec down a hill. No sweat
  • running: this started with a mysterious 11.25km, then progressed to 14.48km, 17.7km 

I'm annoyed that these runs are translated to norwegian as "an easy run". These runs (after the hard speed repetition exercises) has caused my knees and heels to start aching. Pensive

Looking on mr. Galloway's own webpage I see that distances in Garmin's plan are crazy for a 10k plan: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k-10k-training/

Where I think I can blame the developers is in the unit conversion. I'm convinced Garmin use imperial units in their software (yey, go Liberia, Myanmar and USA). I bet mr. Galloway has put in the length of the runs in km, but the developers has interpret them as miles. Or perhaps more realistically: there is a formula given to the developers how to calculate the next length of the run, but they have mixed up the units or something badly.

• 11.25km = 7 miles
  • 14.48km = 9 miles
  • 17.70km = 11miles

So are you as me, doing 2 exercises a week, running 4-10km per exercise, then I strongly suggest that you do not put the extra strain on you body following the runs in Garmin's "Galloway's10k plan". At least not until there is a update on the plan.

• If you check the sample week for 10k time improvement plan on Jeff's website, he actually says you should follow the run-walk-run pattern for the long runs as well, keeping the average pace within the target. So no matter what Garmin says, you should double-check. Getting injured because of poor implementation is last thing anyone would want.

• The longest run on his plan on the website for 10k is 7 miles on a Sunday.  On the Garmin plan I was up to 13 mile long run on Sunday in about week 6.  14 sets of 800m intervals in the week.     

The Garmin plan has something not quite right about it.  

• This is happening for me too. Clearly wrong to have 11.56 km run as third run in a 12 week 10k programs. 

• Yup.  I'm 62, and I've run for about 5 months and did a 9K, which was fine.  Tried a 10K the next week and it was ugly.  So I thought I'd so some training.  With my new Garmin Venu SQ and "Coach Jeff" here we go.  Well, Workouts 1 and 2 were fine, but I could see this ramping up way too fast after just two workouts and a peak ahead to the third. 

1. was 9 minutes

2. was about 30 minutes. Hill Repeats.  I don't have a safe hill to practice on near my prairie home, so that's inconvenient.

3. Called for 5 min, then 4 min of drills, then 800m x 4 reps (about 20 min for me), then 8 min cool down.  37 min.  Doable, but strange.

After reading this thread, I'm moving on to a different plan.  Or, I'll just print off the REAL Jeff plan as noted here, maybe beginning at week 4 or something.   Glad I didn't do more damage.