This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recovery Heart Rate Feature - How to Use?

After a run yesterday, a note popped up saying "Recovery Heart Rate 139". Is this the rate after one minute or two minutes? How do I use this feature?

I assume it's about the 1 and 2 minutes recovery periods that are talked about. Do I just look at the last HR reading for that run and use that? Or do I use the Max HR on that run or the average HR? And then do my subtraction.

Thanks.
  • Cool Down

@Toxsterize: You are correct. It doesn't show the high number (167) after 2 minutes, but if you add the 2 numbers together that you see (117 + 50 = 167), 167 was the last HR recorded while running. 117 is your HR 2 minutes after your run and 50 is your Recovery HR.

Just curious, do you sit still while waiting for your RHR? That is a pretty big number. I personally keep walking at a normal pace after my run and the best I ever get is around 26-36. I think yesterday I was 140 26 = 166, but it usually is closer to 130 36 = 166, pretty normal walk pace after run.

Max

Well, it was only the second time I've even noticed this feature, so this time I was walking slowly back to the office, but conscious to try and stay slow.
  • It's too bad Garmin haven't found a way to save it and keep track of it but it's still a valuable indicator. Mine is generally at 30+ after walking slowly for two minutes. With th oHR there is some unpredictability of course...

It doesn't normally depend on the workout because even when running intervals you should have at least a 10 minute cool down period at the end of which your HR should be back to the level of an easy run. If anything the RHR will be lower after a hard workout because you've pushed harder.
  • That's a great suggestion! Thanks!