This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Step count accurate on Garmin 235?Help

Former Member
Former Member
I look at my step count while I am walking.I noticed it does not count steps instantly. It seems to do it in bunches. Is that the same for all 235 owners?
  • I base my assumption on the 235 using a single axis step counter on one simple fact that can clearly be demonstrated by just swinging your arm at a standstill. On the 235 doing this will result in steps being counted as long as you swing your arm more than 10 times. Try the same on the older Forerunner 15 and you'll see almost ZERO steps recorded. I've also seen many occasions when putting my hands in my pocket while walking the dog will result in very few steps being recorded on the 235. Sum it all up and the step counter in the 235 is poor in comparison to that in the older model 15.
  • I base my assumption on the 235 using a single axis step counter on one simple fact that can clearly be demonstrated by just swinging your arm at a standstill. On the 235 doing this will result in steps being counted as long as you swing your arm more than 10 times. Try the same on the older Forerunner 15 and you'll see almost ZERO steps recorded. I've also seen many occasions when putting my hands in my pocket while walking the dog will result in very few steps being recorded on the 235. Sum it all up and the step counter in the 235 is poor in comparison to that in the older model 15.

If it's just an assumption based on your n=1 experience then why did you assert it as if it was a fact? Maybe you just have a faulty FR235 or FR15?

Mine works fine with my hands in my pockets.
  • Mine works fine with my hands in my pockets.

As does mine. And from what I can see, it's the same as the FR15 I used to use.
  • not recording steps accurately on indoor runs

Hi
    Any reason why when completing indoor runs sometimes it records accurately and sometimes it doesn't.
    Last 10k it gave me over 10k in steps, todays 10k only just over 4k?
    Really frustrating.
  • Additionally, I think the screen only updates once per minute. That's also why you won't see the steps update while you are stepping. :-)
  • Additionally, I think the screen only updates once per minute. That's also why you won't see the steps update while you are stepping. :-)

Thanks but i do wait and its the total amount of steps that's inconsistent, by huge degrees, with my activities.