This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1000 folders

I stupidly formatted the drive of my Edge 1000 unit while trying to do a map update instead of formatting sd card.

Can i just copy folders from another unit and paste back into my unit?

Where can i get hold of these.

Seems a shame just to bin it!

I have tried to create a garmin folder and dowloaded GUPDATE.GCD. Tried reboots with and without usb but failed.

Regards in anticipation

Paul

Top Replies

All Replies

• Hi

yes that’s the only way I have managed it. Where are you based?

• Using disk utility before I proceed I’m seeing the drive and it’s saying the device is ‘disk3s1 not disk3

• It depends how many other devices you have on you machine. On mine I just checked and I see:

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GARMIN *7.8 GB disk2

I also see:

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *31.9 GB disk3
    1: DOS_FAT_32 1000 EXT 31.9 GB disk3s1

But that is my SD card.

I does take some time to format as the drive in the Garmin are very slow compared to laptop drives.

The simplest next step is to reformat as a single FAT32 drive you can do this on a Mac but much much easier on an wondows PC as that is the default. You can do it on a Mac using disk util but make sure its a single partition otherwise it wont boot again and you are back to square one.

It been ages since I had to do and cant remember how I did but sure there is lots of help if you search online.

• Using disk utility I can’t select MS-DOS(FAT32) only MS-DOS(FAT)

• Something as far as I know...

• I’ll select MS-DOS(FAT)
    it can’t get any worse

• No...worse case you will have to do it again...I tried all sort before I got mine to work.... what you want to see is the following when its done correctly, assume you give the drive name as GARMIN....

dev/disk2 (external, physical):
    0: GARMIN *7.8 GB disk2

i.e. Just one partition of 7.8 GB nothing else as this is what confuses the Garmin firmware.

If you see something like this then the format option you have chosen has created another partition like a boot or a master record etc:

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *31.9 GB disk3
    1: DOS_FAT_32 1000 EXT 31.9 GB disk3s1

The number of the left it the portion number.

If you can figure our the correct setting from the disk util then the only thing I can recommend is find a friend with a PC, do the first steps on you Mac to wipe the device again and then do a re-format on the windows PC..

• I’m in Ashbourne Derbyshire.

if your not in a major rush
    I can have a go at sorting it for you but you will just have to pay for shipping each way.

it’s a bit of messing about but should be recoverable 

• Just checked to disk utility command in terminal

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):

#:             TYPE                          NAME                     SIZE          IDENTIFIER

0:   FDisk_partition-scheme                                        *7.8 GB            disk3

1:       DOS_FAT_32                   GARMIN                    7.8 GB            disk3s1

so from this it looks like there is still a partition this is before I erase and format as MS-DOS(FAT)

on the disk utility it only shows the disk3s1

should I go for it