This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incredibly slow route calculation - Garmin Edge Explore

I must be doing something wrong here. I just try to create a route and load it into my Garmin Edge Explore:

1. Using Garmin Connect I create a new route

2. Send it to my Edge Explore and turn it off

3. On a sunny day, I take my bike outdoors, turn my Garmin on, select the ride I imported

4. WAIT FOR 15 MINUTES FOR A 30 KM RIDE TO 'CALCULATE' WHILE I CANNOT USE THE MAP OR NAVIGATION AT ALL

5. Figure out I'm already dead bored or so off the route that my device panics and tries to recalculate or just kill itself.

Is there any way to make it do the 'calculation' step much faster or at least when I import the route and not only when I actually want to ride it?

• Indeed. I am selling mine and hope i get some muppet who buys is and gives me top dollar. I am getting a wahoo now since i got burned twice now with two separate units. Both touring exlore units were really bad. Full of bugs and just generally not even fit for the purpose it was designed for.

• Same problem for me. When I bought Edge Explore there was maps 2017 and everything calculate superb fast. Now after update from 2017 to 2020.10 calculating routs from komoot or even Garmin Connect took 10-15min for 50km route. Something wrong is in the maps, please check it and prepare some update only for optimization. 

• Calculating the route doesn't actually need GPS.

The device wants GPS so it can figure out if you are at the start or not.

The number of points doesn't matter either. The length of the route does matter. 30 miles isn't long.

The Explore shouldn't be any slower than the 1000.

• So, any news on this? I went on a 150km ride, created with kommot with i guess 10-15 points, imported tcx via garmin connect... When I started the course, it loaded quickly but then calculated for about 15 minutes...

Would I profit from resetting/wiping my device, deleting all old records?

Any other way of creating/importing course that would not be this painfully slow? Battery saver has anything to do with it?

Everything is updated to the latest versions.

Thanks

• So, any news on this? I went on a 150km ride, created with kommot with i guess 10-15 points, imported tcx via garmin connect... When I started the course, it loaded quickly but then calculated for about 15 minutes...

Any other way of creating/importing course that would not be this painfully slow? Battery saver has anything to do with it?

Thanks

Thanks

• Hi, I also use Komoot (via the IQ app) and do it as follows:

1/ Open the Garmin Connect app on my Iphone.

2/ Start with a sync.

3/ Open the Komoot IQ app.

4/ Select and download the route.

5/ Go outside, wait on GPS signal and start the actual calculation.

6/ Beware that you have direct view to the skies and are not moving. I tried recalculation in the forest or while on my bike, but I came into the same problems as you.

So you need 3-5 min extra for this ritual, but it saves a lot of hassle during the ride.

PS If you donwload the route to your device, you can stop and start the activity. If you load it directly from Komoot IQ, you need to finish the activity without interruption.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and enjoy your rides!

• Yeah, I often do not finish the exact route, or change something on the fly. Also, I do not subscribe to komoot so I am not sure if I can use the full app possibilities.

• There is update 5.30 and new maps 2020.20. Unfortunately device is even slower! Route from komoot - 140km long - calculation time 26 minutes... This device is unusable as navigation for trip longer than 30km... 

• Anyone aware of the last version of maps that were ok with calculating speed, and a way to downgrade the existing ones?