This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bugs list after first encounter with Edge Explore

I bought the Edge Explore while on a bike tour from Belgium to Italy. It gave me more headaches than guidance. Here's a list, ordered from serious ballache to requires improvement. Note, this was all done with the preinstalled 4.20 software, but since the release notes I found do not mention these bugs, here I go anyway:

1. Device becomes unresponsive during rides

Usually somewhere around the 80km point, the device has refused to wake up by touching it, or pressing any of the buttons. Three things may the happen:

a) very rarely the screen comes back on after a few minutes

b) very rarely the device automatically restarts after a few minutes

c) most of the time, I have to press and hold the power button for a while to manually restart the device.

I don't have to explain how annoying this is while navigating a city (or any other course). Most annoyingly, there's no way of telling that it has become unresponsive until you try to look. So you might just be going forward and off course for minutes before you realise the device isn't responding.

2. Incident Detection totally haywire.

Within minutes of activating Incident Detection, my friend (thank God I didn't yet put my parent's details) started receiving occasional messages. This also happens during rides. He says he received about 6 emergency reports on a 100k ride. My phone did not sound a single time (probably because it's always on silent).

It's not clear when incident detection is triggered, but it's clear that it's much too sensitive. Not a single time did I fall off or abruptly stop my bicycle. The incidents also went off while the unit was charging in the hotel room.

3. Auto-sleep has issues

a) it sometimes does not go to sleep when the lap banner has come up while going to sleep, and after tapping it away, it sometimes refuses to go to sleep ever again until the device is restarted

b) sometimes it refuses to come back on after sleeping (see #1)

c) when the device wakes from sleep to give you the next navigation guidance, it sometimes shows a stale image (of a turn taken a while ago). This seems to happen particularly when the device went to sleep on a screen other than the map (e.g. the data screen). This has sent me going the wrong way more than once.

d) when the device wakes from sleep for the next navigation guidance, the track isn't always north as requested in the settings.

4. Routing doesn't favour continuity

Taking me across a bridge across a river for a mere 1 km of "bike path", or often just gravel, and then dropping me back on the original route, is pointless. It slows me down as I now have to navigate, take turns, and it's not like 1 km makes a huge difference. Continuity should definitely be favoured for stretches under 2 km.

5. Custom routes with the same name get overwritten on the device

And the software does not help by assigning silly generic names such as "Riding 20 July" to each new route

6. Loading your own GPX is complicated and doesn't work with every GPX file.

It should be as easy as picking a GPX file from your phone's internal storage through Garmin Connect. But instead, I have to open it in Files (Android) or Total Commander, and then tell it to open the GPX file with Garmin Connect.

7. Poor recalculation of route on custom GPX

If you use a custom GPX and you decide to freestyle a bit (e.g. take a shortcut, or take a bike path that's not on the map), the Explore stubbornly tells you to navigate back to where you last left the course, rather than trying to join you up with the nearest point of the remaining course. Could be a bunch smarter.

8. Battery indication inaccurate

While navigating, the battery indication may say there's 40% left. After restarting the device (because of issues such as #1), the battery indicator now says 60% again. Sometimes, the battery indicator also does not update.

9. No overview of the entire elevation graph when a route has been started.

Would be nice to see where you are on the entire elevation profile, rather than in the next 2km or so.

10. GPS Mode toggle stuck after not finding sattellites

If the unit cannot find satellites and you tell it to stop searching, it has a cross through the GPS widget in the drawer. However, tap that and the "GPS mode" toggle will still be on. You then have to untoggle and retoggle to turn it back on. Something tells me that there's poor state management in the firmware.

11. Search is ridiculously slow.

It should not take minutes to find a few cities in the menu. Something tells me that city search is not using the most basic search optimisation from the book (buckets) but rather trawls through its entire database of city names before displaying results. That's ridiculous. If you have buckets, you only have to search the B-R bucket if I type Brussels. Also, exact matches should be at the top. For example if you search "Milan", the actual entry for "Milan" is so far down the list it doesn't even display on the screen until you scroll.

• I have 2-2000 mile trips around the EU with 2 separate Exlore units. The old one and the new one. I can confirm all bugs on my units. The newer explore has more bugs than the older one.

Unit not waking up from sleep and screen staying blank. Only a hard restart gets the unit going again. It did this many times on me and in one 15 min stretch it happened twice using nearly %10 of battery power during that time. Unacceptable. This is a bug in the newer one that was not in the old on.

Backlight not respecting off setting. Only a restart would make the settign stick. Unacceptable. Bug in both units

Routing on dirt gravel paths when setting is to avoid such paths. Unacceptable. Present in both units

Routing two KM out of the way only to be sent back onto the road i just left adding several KM's per day. This is bad for a unit mean to make getting to places. Unacceptable. Present in both units

Unti frequently freezing and nto responding to any taps shortly before route changes or just randomly. I did not trust this unit much and frequently tapped to make sure that the left shown was actually taken. A lot of times i would end up 500 meters down the road only to be told to do a uturn. Unacceptable. Bug in new one

Random screen freezes where elements of other screens were shown. As in i would get parts of the stats screen showing km/h and avg distance with one third showing the map screen. This is a bug. Unacceptable. Bug in new one

Battery indicator totally blank. I dont know how much battery i have left. I was left like this for days. Unacceptable.

When told to minimize ascent it routed me over the moors where i live. This is the highest point around in all of south england. Unacceptable. Really unacceptable on a fully loaded touring bike. Considering that google even avoids this just goes to show how bad this unit is at routing. This unit frequently sent me horrible ascents that even normal bikers without gear would have trouble with. The route taken this time differs framatically from the route i took on my last trip. Same destination. Dover - to take the ferry across. only lasty trip i rem the middle of england being flat around the salisbury plains. Not this time. Horrible climbs and anything but flat. Its the plains. Salisbury plains for crying out loud. Was only present in new one

Search function. I suggest you start using city names from close by first as nobody is going to search for a cith that is 200 miles away. Why should it take a min to find a city the size antwerp when i am 10km away? Why bother showing me names in that list that have nothing to do with the letter A for antwerp?

Overall i cant recommend this product and i am selling it never to use garmin ever again. Their own fault.

I am getting a wahoo now and giving them a chance. Garmin had 2 chances with two separate units and blew it on both. I am not goign to ge burned a third time.

What really pissed me off were the constant out of your way only to end up back on the same road detours and the routing over gravel roads and dirt paths in the woods that only dog walkers would use. This is unacceptable. I bent my rear wheel on one of these paths.

• Temperature unit is fixed by software version 5.30

Other topics from the list

https://www.avdweb.nl/gps/garmin/buglist-edge-explore

are still to be solved/implemented to make software more stable, user friendly, ergionomic, competitive on the market (lezyne, wahoo, karoo 2, smartphones).

Garmin, please fix bugs and implement improvements.