This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sharp Bend Warnings on 4 different OSM maps

The Edge Explore (EE) tries to warn users for sharp bends ahead on the road. Independent of how well - or not - this function behaves and how well - or not - people like this function, these warnings cannot be suppressed. Probably for different reasons users of the EE have pleaed Garmin to give these warnings an ON/OFF switch - some wouldn't even cry when this function was removed completely. Garmin is aware of the Sharp Bend issues in the meantime.

Because it was suggested as a temporary work-around for suppressing the sharp bend warnings (SBWs) by using "original" OSM maps and my doubts about that I have compared 4 different OSM-based maps to get more insight if the mentioned work-around was really working and how other 'OSM' maps - including the original Garmin Cycle Map - behave in this respect.
Maps used:
- the original Garmin Cycle Map EU that came with the EE (version 2018.10)
- the OpenFietsMap (OFM) Benelux (version 25-08-2018) from www.openfietsmap.nl
- the Routable Bicycle (Openfietsmap Lite) (version 31-08-2018) from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
- the Generic Routable (new style) (version 31-08-2018) from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

My observations thusfar - be aware, this is not a scientific test
- independent which map used, the SBWs pop-up consequently on all 4 maps. Maybe disappointing, but the suggested work-around did not work here.
- independent if you are navigating a Course - with or without Turn Guidance switched ON - or not (doing only breadcrump recording of your ride), the SBWs pop-up. Specially in the last case where you don't even have an active Course it is interesting to know on what criteria the EE decides to show a SBW. I was very surprised seeing this happen! Has the EE some kind of 'birdview' on the area where you are riding?
- the SBWs seem never to occur at crossings, also not at T-crossings where your only choice is going right or left. This is independent how sharp the bend ahead may be.
- sometimes there are 'false positives' - SBWs come up with large wide bends ahead, specially when more bends followup after another
- the behaviour is more than a few times unpredictive. If 'in the field' there is a really sharp bend of 90 degrees, where on the map there is also drawn a really sharp bend of 90 degrees you would expect a SBW but none comes up. In the contrary, when seemingly in the same situation, a SBW does come up. It is difficult to determine what condition causes this. Maybe it depends on the number of nodes that is used on OSM to draw the bend in the way - sometimes you use only one node if the situation 'in the field' is like that, but sometimes you use two or three nodes if there is some kind of 'bending' in the way. As long as we don't know the algorithms on which the SBWs are based, we have to guess.
- together with the SBW a countdown distance for the bend ahead is displayed. In complex situations you cannot determine which bend is being focussed on, while the EE also does not know which road you are going to ride. So for which bend are you being warned, while you are not going to take a bend at all but rather going straight ahead? The SBW is useless here and is more distracting and confusing than helpful.

Maybe Garmin finds enough reason in this to make the SBWs at least switchable, or even - like I would prefer - to let them out completely.
  • I have found a workaround for this unsane feature: when not navigating disable all routeable maps and use a non routeable map.
    This silences all warnings.
  • Reminds me to the early days of the Edge Touring when we had to use the same workaround to suppress the Course Turn Guidance pop-ups and early zoomed-in pre-warnings, both with the big white arrows. Lateron - after broadly supported requests - Garmin implemented a menu option to set the Course Turn Guidance ON or OFF.
  • I've returned my Edge Explore to the shop because of this feature's intrusion when ascending or descending switchback climbs.
    Disappointing because I love the big screen and mapping capabilities.

I also found the Elevation data field inaccurate and very slow to respond and the absence of a barometric altimeter means no gradient information is available either. I tried the IQ apps for Gradient and their readings fluctuate so quickly and wildly as to be useless.

I'll await the Edge Explore Plus, hopefully there will be one in the future with both altimeter and no Sharp Bend warnings.

Meanwhile I'm sticking with my trusty Edge 800 that does what I want and has never let me down.
  • Yesterday on a MTB-track it drove me nuts. It kept beeping about sharp turns. I mean really....a sharp bend on a mtb trail and no way to turn it off. You cannot even turn the sound off. Completely distracting and highly annoying. Seems to me an intern thought of this while everybody was on holiday...at least that is my hope!

When can we expect an update that deals with this please?
  • You can turn off sounds under the settings (hamburger) menu: System / Tones. Disadvantage may be that all system tones are turned off simultaneously with it.