This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incident Detection is driving me Bonkers!

Hey everyone!

is anyone else having issues with a incident detection where it activates but then it is a bugger to cancel.

Twice today on a ride I stopped at a junction then had to stop again shortly after and I think get the message come up saying incident detected. I press cancel on the screen but this is not good enough for the stupid software so it then starts to count down from 30 saying 'hold here' to cancel but there is barely any response when doing it. Im trying to press down in every point from different angles and it just does not respond. Of the two incidents today one I managed to cancel and the second I had to send out a 'false alarm' text which is annoying in the middle of a ride.

Cant we have an option to just cancel the message by pressing cancel once or maybe press cancel once and then press the start button rather than this silly tiny 'hold her' area?

Tom
  • To me seemed to work one year ago, now it became too sensitive. I had 5 alarms fired stopping at a traffic light while roadbiking, plus was practically impossible to stop the sms sending from the device, needed to pick my IPhone from the jersey, this resulted in two alarms sent to my family abroad and to my GF. I just updated to 8.80 will give it a shot tomorrow and post updates.

Cheers.
  • Have sent the post as well. Rgds
  • I would like to encourage customers who are having issues with incident detection to reach out to us directly (phone, chat, or email), mention your post here on the forum and we will help investigate the concerns.

I tried communicating with Garmin support and got an operator that couldn't even tell me if my firmware version was the most upto date. Kept asking me to connect to express, I’m not a regular PC user so the call was ended. As I’m typing this I see I’m not a robot tick box, sorry but I got the impression your operator was just that, obviously going through a flow chart of questions and he reached a dead end.
    After getting a PC and connecting to express I confirmed my firmware version is the latest, which I expect as my device advises me when there is a new version.
    i should have said my device is an edge explore 1000, I posted here because the thread seemed relevant.
    Further information that may help. When the false deterctions were occurring I was using the edge stand alone on a new bike. Since then I have moved my speed sensor over from old bike to new and so far no false detections but it has only been a few rides!
  • I am having the same issues it started about 2 months ago and even if i shut off the detection it automatically turns back on a whim. I am starting to hate my 820
  • I experienced the same issue on my last outing at the intersection of 175th & Mission (downhill heading West on 175th into the intersection). It went off even though I was completely upright. Screen froze and I had to pull over and caught it w/ 0 seconds to spare on my iPhone. Thankfully notifications did not go out, but the screen stayed frozen the remainder of the ride. I knew it was still recording due to the information still being updated in realtime to my Varia Vision. I was thankful that it was a solo ride. Having to pull away from a group to keep incident notifications from going out would have been no good.
  • No screen freeze here (maybe fixed in a release since April?), but I have been experiencing false positives since mounting the Edge 820 on a new Emonda using the Blendr low mount. It has gone off mostly with very slight lateral motion (e.g. lean against a wall at a rest stop). I'm chalking this up to a whippy plastic Bontrager mount (vs. metal Garmin extended out-front mount I use on two other bikes).

Anyone else use this combo?

Because of battery life issues I replaced the Bontrager Mount with the Garmin extended out-front so I can connect external battery (Bontrager mount blocks access, and occasionally scrapes off the weather plug). So far so good on false positives...
  • Incident detection working fine for me, I experienced in real conditions... the only time it triggered, it was on real crash - although not too speedy.

Then I was in a mountain area with no network coverage, so... no magics here. I was conscious with leg broken but was so much afraid to have my wife afraid to death with the SMS that I just cancelled the message sending... and the thrilling buzzer that was making me feeling even worst.

This function makes sense :
    - in case you are not conscious anymore
    - or cannot move at all
    - praying that you are in a covered area

Garmin cannot detect yet if the first 2 conditions are met ;-)
  • I have the same problem here. It's a nightmare to cancel and I'm not looking forward to trying to cancel when it comes time to wear winter gloves :mad:
  • Sâme here.. canceling is impossible. The screen also froze a few times and had to do a hard reset.
  • I have been out today and its gone off 4 times. Twice when I stopped at traffic lights. I had thick winter gloves on and had to take them off to try and cancel. Not until I finished did my wife inform me that she had received two messages. It happens so often that she ignores it. So makes it pointless. I feel like the kid who cried wolf, and hope I dont need it to work ever! Far too sensitive.