This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 randomly shutting off while riding

Hi,

2 times within the last 2 months my 520 has shut off during a ride. Well over 70% on the battery. I can turn it back on without any problems and it'll stay on the rest of the ride. Each time it was at a different time & distance. Rail trail pavement riding.

Do I need to do a reset? Call Germins support? Is it checking out and I should be looking at an upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Tony
  • Hi, I bought my 530 a month ago, had a few rides, but the interesting thing is....Last 3 rides, the device shut itself down at the same place :D (3kms to my house, at the end of a ride, with different length) Is there some kind of interference? The battery was well above 70% and after I turned it on, it worked fine again. 

• Sorry haven't  been around.  No I didn't.  It hasn't been happening since my initial report.

• My 3 year old 520 has been flawless until a couple of weeks ago. Now it shuts itself off during a ride. I don't have to restart it though... turns itself back on and is running again in about 2 minutes. The current ride shows a short flat spot but just continues without me hitting start.

• Mine is also shutting off while riding.
    The weird thing is that it always happens within the first minute after I start the ride. 

Doesn't seem to matter how long it's been on (to find satellites) before I press ride, just happens at complete random.

Anyone found any answer to this?

• I have found my 520 will shut off when I have too many activities in the Edge 520 Garmin/Activities device folder.  The 520 file system is not very robust and will overwrite working storage causing a shut down when free space on the 520 is short.

Always keep the 520 free of old activities, transfer them to pc or cloud and then delete from the 520.

• Thanks for the suggestion. 

The thought struck me when it had happened the first few times, so I made sure to delete history in the hope that it would correct things. No such luck.

Battery level doesn’t matter, either.

• There is a long standing bug that causes random shutdowns on the Edge 510. I found it was much more stable (not perfect, but significantly better) if I turned bluetooth off while I was riding. I spend quite a bit of time riding in areas with poor cellular phone coverage and I think the Edge sometimes throws a hissy fit if it has had Internet access via my phone at the start of a ride, but then finds it can’t access the Internet any more later on.

• Hey there, I’ve been having the same issues and for me it seems to be linked to my speed sensor. When I disconnect that and just use GPS, it goes away. Annoying, but helps. 

• hey I want to join this club too!  My 520 has been shutting off by itself for probably 2 years now.  drives me crazy.  I'll have to try some of these suggestions about turning off BT and/or the speed sensor too.     for a $300 piece of equipment when I bought it new, this thing has given my nothing but grief for a very long time. honestly can't believe I have smashed it with a hammer by now

• My 520 started to do that when the battery started to fail. Perhaps see if it behaves when running from a USB power bank.