This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 25 courses

Just trialled my edge 25 this weekend.

Courses seem to be a bit hit & miss. Creating routes on garmin connect is the only way I can get a route onto the edge25. Then you can view the map & details of the route. However when I try to follow the route the unit crashes & restarts.

I've tried putting gpx tracks & tcx into the root folder 'New Folder' similar method to 500/800 edge but this has no effect & route isn't loaded.

The only way it seems to work is to follow a route previously recorded on the device. That does seem to work well however not useful for new routes.

Anybody have a work around as without that functionality it's a deal breaker for me:(
  • (I posted a few hours ago, but it seems to have gone into the ether... sorry if this repeats)

Alan-
    Your file works fine. I'm creating the FIT file with the above mentioned software TCX Converter. I just downloaded a ride from Strava as GPX, converted with TCX taking defaults, upload to device in \GARMIN\COURSES directory.... Nothing.

I tried the other RTWtool software and after some option tweaks, got a FIT file to load successfully onto the device and show in the COURSES section. I can read the course Details and view the Map, but when I tell the unit to "Do Course" it reboots instantly. Again, your file worked fine, so it must be something during the conversion.

Any special settings I should be using on either TCX or RTWtool? How are you converting GPX files? There doesn't seem to be an online conversion tool that I can find that outputs FITs.

Thanks again
  • Could you post the GPX file you are using and I will try running through the process here?
  • Here you go. Two to play with:
  • The Strava produced gpx file does not contain any elevation. This is not a problem on the Edge 25 as it does not have an elevation page. On other Edge devices this would give you a flat line for elevation profile. The course summary will have no vale for elevation gain.

This is the process I used to produce the file below.

Started JaVaWa RTWtool 4.0
    Dragged the gpx file on to the import tab
    Selected the entry in the import tab

Changed the "Export to" to Course file (.tcx/.fit)"

I decided not to add course points so I deselected that.

Clicked on the "Convert" icon. When the dialogue came up I changed the file type to FIT.

If I get some time later today I might try it with tcxconverter
  • That did it. Unchecking "add course points" option in RTWtool makes the uploaded FIT file work and not crash the unit when DO COURSE is selected.

I played with some of the settings in TCX, but can't seem to find the magic incantation for that software.

As for the elevation in the GPX from Strava.... I do see other threads with people complaining about that, but looking at the GPX file I see elevation entries: <ele>1899.4</ele> for example. If I download a native ride out of Garmin Connect, it looks basically the same. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.
  • Sorry I misspoke. There is elevation data in the file gpx. It is just that the FIT file conversion process does not add the total ascent to the lap record in the file. This is why the course details on the Edge 25 shows "Ascent: -.--"

Let me see what the RTWTool is doing with course points that is breaking things.

The default conversion process is creating too many course points for the Edge to handle. The default setting is to create a course point for turns sharper than 50 degrees. It also adds a second course point for a pre-turn warning.

If you change the default to 90 degrees then this reduces the course point total to 68 from 228.

That then loads on the Edge 25 without any issues.

To gain access to the settings control you need to resize the RWTool window to expose more of the icon bar at the top.
  • Nice. Good to know. Thanks for the research.
  • Here is what Garmin Support said befor I bought the Edge 25

I was just about to buy the Edge 25 and I read the specifications. It was not clear if it could import .gpx files. I thought before I buy, I should ask. Here is my answer:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Thanks again for being a Garmin customer, I will be happy to continue support. I apologize for the confusion in a previous email. To answer your question for importing courses into the Edge 25. You will most certainly be able to import courses to the Edge 25. They can be downloaded from most third party websites in the .gpx format as well as Garmin Connect."

needless to say, I purchased the unit and now I am having issues as well as others. I have tried GPSBabble and another program w/o luck. Navigating is my least favorite job on the bike. The Edge 25 was to remove that task. It works with routes that I make in Garmin Express/Connect, but I can't download charity and Rando rides. I am bummed for sure.

Ride Safe,

Joe
  • Courses is by far the most badly implemented feature of the Edge25. Shocking really as I thought the simplicity of the device would allow the basic functions to work well.

I have had 2 email responses from Garmin support confirming dropping TCX/GPX files into 'new folder' will convert to courses on device. However we all know this to be absolute rubbish.

Creating courses on Garmin Connect is still hit & miss. They appear on the device & can load details & view map, but when I try to follow the course the unit crashes & restarts! Even a course I tested on the device the day before a big ride loaded fine, but the next day crashed 3 times before it eventually loaded(created from GC) So disappointing.

The best method I have found to load an existing gpx/tcx is converting to activity & then loading into GC. It's been more reliable than the conversion tools posted. (I don't think anything wrong with the tools, just e25 cannot execute the courses well)

The following instructions work very well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDQyBYkguwo
  • Not beeing able to upload a 3rd party course is bad

I purchased the Edge 25 to be able to follow courses made by others it is a profound disappointment not to be able to upload .GPX files from ridewithgps.com and mapmyride.com. Garmin please fix this. Your product support people told me this was a feature before I purchased the product.

Ride Safe,

Joe