This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Replace Edge 25 Internal Battery?

Has anyone worn out the internal battery and replaced it? I've been using the 25 almost daily for the past 18 months and the low battery warning comes on about a half hour after a full charge when it's below freezing outside. Looks like the unit is sealed with four "star" screws for which I don't have the bit. I'd be willing to purchase that bit and a battery if the install procedure is straight forward.
  • I've just purchased the Edge 25 and still have to figure out how many hours I can use it while following routes and paired with an ANT+ sensor, but I wouldn't mind extending battery life at all.

I did a bit of searching and wondered if the following battery may fit in the Edge, even though it's slightly higher than the original with 4.3mm vs 3.15mm and a previous poster mentioned there's basically no room left. You'd think you could find 1mm somewhere...

http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/RJD2440/?qs=NaORKMxqSkyUpOQaZyVUog%3d%3d

150mah versus 110 should give a nice increase. If it fits...
  • Not sure the mouser battery fits, it is 1mm thicker and there is essentially no extra space.

The roginal battery is available from
    http://www.akku-wechsel.de/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=+3%2C7+Volt+Li-Ion+Akku-Zelle+Route+JD+PD2430C1+mit+110mAh+Kapazit%C3%A4t+%2F+ersetzt+PD2430+
    3,7 Volt Li-Ion Akku-Zelle Route JD PD2430C1 mit 110mAh Kapazität / ersetzt PD2430
    for €19.90 incl shipping.

One has to remove packaing and the soldered-on leads with a knife or screwdriver. It then works nicely.
    Opening it and replacing the battery voids the warranty (mine is out of warranty).

Garmin offers an exchange of the whole unit for around £50 in the UK.
  • Hi there

If you remove the round rubber mat under the battery, the RJD2440 fits great - battery ordered from Arrow.com for about 10$, delivered by FedEx US to Switzerland within 3 days WITHOUT shipping costs. Enjoy the extra 40mAh :-)

Urs.
  • You can get the battery at here https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/illinois-capacitor/RJD2430C1/1572-1619-ND/6159137 ...the datasheet link is on the page ....I would stick with the original and not go to the 2440 ... charging current is higher and the battery resistance is higher.. the edge 25 circuitry is designed for the 110 mah battery...
  • In practice there's no problem with the 2440 - just got 13 (!) hours running time out of my Garmin 25.
    Charging circuits usually surveil voltage (which is the same for both batteries) - if the charging current is lower, it doesn't matter; just needs longer to charge, and the device handles this fine.
    Settings during those 13 hours running time: Bluetooth on, two ANT+ Sensors connected, GLONASS off.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1337659.jpg
  • In practice there's no problem with the 2440 - just got 13 (!) hours running time out of my Garmin 25.
    Charging circuits usually surveil voltage (which is the same for both batteries) - if the charging current is lower, it doesn't matter; just needs longer to charge, and the device handles this fine.
    Settings during those 13 hours running time: Bluetooth on, two ANT+ Sensors connected, GLONASS off.

I did the same upgrade, a week of hour lunch rides and I am only to half battery, even new the old battery would be dead after ride 4. Something about powering it off and on kills the battery more than a long ride. The max I got with notifications off and no GLONASS was 7.5 hours. The swap was easy, just pull the metal clip off the old battery, cover the top in kapton tape, put a layer where the rubber mat was over the board because this stuff is thinner and electrically isolating and reassemble.
  • Hi dear.

Just to know for the 2440 battery, you just remove the black foam under the battery ? Only that ?
    Cause i already got a layer beetwen the battery and the board on my edge 25, so if i could upgrade by 40mAh, it will be cool !!
    If you have pictures of your upgrade, it will be cool too !

Thanks a lot for your answer
  • You can get the battery at here https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/illinois-capacitor/RJD2430C1/1572-1619-ND/6159137 ...the datasheet link is on the page ....I would stick with the original and not go to the 2440 ... charging current is higher and the battery resistance is higher.. the edge 25 circuitry is designed for the 110 mah battery...

Just have a look at picture on post #3 - on the right side you'll see the black rubber mat which should be removed. Have fun!
  • Hi guys. I just replaced the internal battery on my Edge 20 and if you live in mainland Europe I can recommend a battery supplier in Berlin: www.akku-wechsel.de
    I got good reliable service and the battery arrived within 10 days.....great.....!
    There were a couple of issues, firstly, I used a T6 torx screwdriver which is incredibly fine and not a particularly common size. Secondly, the battery clip orientation inside the case is critical so take photographs. Thirdly, dust and other contaminants must be kept out as I had a small piece of invisible dust stop the Edge from working until I removed it. Good luck.
  • Hi guys. I just replaced the internal battery on my Edge 20 and if you live in mainland Europe I can recommend a battery supplier in Berlin: www.akku-wechsel.de
    I got good reliable service and the battery arrived within 10 days.....great.....!
    There were a couple of issues, firstly, I used a T6 torx screwdriver which is incredibly fine and not a particularly common size. Secondly, the battery clip orientation inside the case is critical so take photographs. Thirdly, dust and other contaminants must be kept out as I had a small piece of invisible dust stop the Edge from working until I removed it. Good luck.

Hi artshed.malcolm,

Please, could you link the exact battery model you've purchased on that site for replacement on your Edge 20?.

Thanks!