This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life

I did my first ~3.5 hour ride with the Edge 130. I started with full battery and it was at 50% afterwards. Promised are 15h. Doesn't add up for me!

Are there any settings that could save battery consumption? I switched on GPS only. Anything else that would help?
  • Can you provide .fit files gain please? We will certainly continue to investigate.
  • Can you provide .fit files gain please? We will certainly continue to investigate.

Done by PM - so ass you see even far away from what you have announced for HIGH usage. I have 1 sensor less and would get not 7 hours.
  • So 34% for just 2:15.

That's also my experience. Battery life seems to be less than with my Edge 520.
    Attaching the fit file from my 2:28h ride this morning. My settings are pretty standard: GPS only, two sensors (Power and HR), no backlight.

Overall, I think the observations of DCRainmaker (~8h) match what I see. A max. of 8h is not really usable for me, 10-12h are required for a full day ride in the mountains.

• So next test - without navigation. 4 hours ride, 2,5 hours in Auto-Stop (just some after ride beer and home after). 66% gone.
    Hope it is either a software issue or bad battery quality. In winter with full time backlight this device is useless, for day tour with navigation as well. And it was announce as long lasting.... :o:o:o
  • Cross Test with my 1000.

Fairly same settings - GPS + GLONASS, 3 Sensors, Backlight dimmed 4 dots but permanently on.
    Navigation half way on. Heads-Up 3" COLOURED Display.

2:40 needs 28% Battery.
    That means nearly 10 hours, backlight permanently on and almost 5 hours with navigation.

There MUST be something wrong with the 130.
  • First ride out yesterday, recorded as a 6 hour ride in Garmin Express. Looked like about 50% battery left at the end of it. GPS plus Glonass, no attached sensors or phone (left it at home - d'oh).

How are people getting a battery %age? I added battery as a data field but it still showed a battery symbol with just a few bars.

Have to admit, I don't understand why people are trying to run with the backlight on - the contrast on this display whether in direct sunlight or shade is supurb. The only time I can imagine needing the backlight on is at night in pitch darkness. Using the backlight absolutely kills life on my Edge Touring - don't see why people expect different on this.
  • First ride out yesterday, recorded as a 6 hour ride in Garmin Express. Looked like about 50% battery left at the end of it. GPS plus Glonass, no attached sensors or phone (left it at home - d'oh).

How are people getting a battery %age? I added battery as a data field but it still showed a battery symbol with just a few bars.

Have to admit, I don't understand why people are trying to run with the backlight on - the contrast on this display whether in direct sunlight or shade is supurb. The only time I can imagine needing the backlight on is at night in pitch darkness. Using the backlight absolutely kills life on my Edge Touring - don't see why people expect different on this.

To your first question - by a CIQ datafield. The fields seems to be availabel but no offered by Garmin as a choice.

Secondly - you need it for dark forest, bad weather and for night rides. Not everybody is going out only in summer and nice weather.
  • To your first question - by a CIQ datafield. The fields seems to be availabel but no offered by Garmin as a choice.

Secondly - you need it for dark forest, bad weather and for night rides. Not everybody is going out only in summer and nice weather.

CIQ datafield - got it but installed it's showing a IQ in the field instead of the %age.

I get why you'd need backlight for those but it seems obvious the backlight will kill battery life - and I'm sure it does on all Garmin devices. What info do you need continuously? On all my Garmin's i've managed those situations by touching the garmin to wake it and having the backlight go off after a few seconds. If navigating it comes on automatically when theres an instruction.

One answer would be to get the remote - that would let you wake the backlight when needed without taking your hands off the bars.
  • I will try how much impact the phone connection has. I could switch that off during the ride.
    However, assuming that most people have 1-2 sensors and/or a phone is reasonable. Therefore, that setting should be the reference. If I get 10-12h in this case (as stated by Shawn), then that's fine but I don't see that yet.
    Battery life for the case of no sensor and no phone is marketing - sorry.

To be fair, the backlight always on is certainly not what many people do/need. It shouldn't be much worse than with other Edge devices, though.

• My first ride: 50% left after 3,5h which is by far worse than any Garmin unit I have used. No lights, only GPS, no telephone connected.
    This makes the unit pretty useless for me, since the claimed 15h battery life was a big selling point for me.