This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

While navigating a saved route my 1030 screen keeps showing tiny segments instead of allowing me to stay with my main activity profile.

I want to stay with my data fields except for turns or when I want to study the map.   Instead, my 1030 keeps reverting to short increments on the route that are useless.   I can tap the screen and it goes back to the data fields and then shortly it reverts to  these small segments.   Have gone through all of the settings and nothing seems to affect this.   This is happening on fit files downloaded from Ride with GPS.

• YES!!!!!!!!!  I have stayed on the page to see if it would hit the point, and go back to data.  It just stays on the page.  If I swipe back, it will immediately be back with another point.  Same page as above.  Except this time, the arrow was pointing towards me - the wrong way.  

• I will give that a try.  Only, it does it all along a straightaway.  Nowhere near a turn.  And it is a fairly new issue.  As far as the course, I start and end the course right on top of each other.  I don't know if that has something to do with it.  I appreciate your help very much.  Thank you. 

• So, it's the normal/old turn notification pop-up.

This gets displayed about 0.1 miles before the turn (unless the turn is shorter).

Note that you can dismiss it by tapping Tap to Go Back.

You can disable (change) it like so:

Settings -> Profiles > <road> -> Navigation -> Navigation Prompts -> Text

(I'm presuming this is set to Map.)

---------------------------------------

Except this time, the arrow was pointing towards me - the wrong way.  

This sounds like a mistake in the course.

• I start and end the course right on top of each other.

No, this shouldn't be an issue (except, possibly, at the start/end points.

--------------------------------------

The best practice is to end the course short of the start point.

The unit actually starts the course at the point on the course that is nearest to your real location.

You want to make sure the first point in the course is the nearest point.

• This isn't the normal turn prompts, where you get the big arrow shortly before a turn.  I get what you showed in the pic, but in the middle of a straightaway.

• That may be the issue.  I will go back and correct that on any courses I am using.

• It's really the same thing.

The maps on the device are based on Openstreetmap.

When creating the course, you should ideally use Openstreetmaps too (another best practice).

You might be using Google Map.

You can change this in Garmin Connect at the upper right of the course-creating screen.

• That may be the issue

The end/start point being the same would only be an issue at the beginning of the course.

If the unit picks the end-point, the remaining distance will also be some small number (close to zero) rather than the expected full length of the course.

• A couple of things.  First of all, I don't think I have ever gotten a distance remaining on a course.  But that is a lower priority right now.  I moved the end point away from the start point, and that did the trick as far as the constant, repeated route display we were discussing.  And also the arrow pointed in the wrong direction.  But I was not able to get the arrow/turn prompts when approaching a turn.  I stopped a number of times, and switched from Map, to Text, on the prompts, and got neither.  I am stumped on that.  I may just totally delete the course, and reload it.  I only use the course when I am not 100% familiar where I am going, such as today.  I did get, for the first time, a black line at the bottom of the data page, multiple times, with nothing in it.  I believe this didn't start until the course started going back on itself.  Thanks.

• First of all, I don't think I have ever gotten a distance remaining on a course.

You have to choose to display it. I probably would display it instead of heading. Press on the item until it changes blue and tap it again.You'll be able to choose a thing to display (Navigation -> Distance to Destination.

But I was not able to get the arrow/turn prompts when approaching a turn.

If "turn guidance" is enabled, you'll see the list of turns when you tap on the text at the top of the map screen. I'm guessing "turn guidance" isn't enabled.

Enable it with the settings menu (3 horizontal lines) at the lower right of the saved courses list.

switched from Map, to Text

Leave it on map.

Maybe, provide a link to the course.