This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030 - screen non-responsive for a period after starting whilst wearing gloves

My Edge 1030 will not respond to screen swipes "for a initial period" whilst wearing gloves. It is OK with bare hands. Just occasionally (with lots of random 'prodding & gestures!) I can get the 'status' screen (the one that appears if swiping down from the top) to display, but I can never scroll left/right between data screens. The weird part is that the problem clears up after a period. I have not been able to deduce how long this period of non-responsiveness is, it's at least half an hour. Usually I forget about it (or take my gloves off so I can get to the screen I want displayed), get into the ride & then sometime late realise that it's working again! (with my gloves on). I have tried adjusting the 'sensitivity' in the ride profile settings - this makes no difference. 

I do have a screen protector fitted, I'm reluctant to remove this, even as a test measure as I'd have to buy a replacement. The key to me seems to be that the device is initially unresponsive, and then sorts itself out sometime later, meaning it's not the screen protector.

Glad of your thoughts on this.

• Thanks - that's useful info - I'm guessing that my screen starts working once some perspiration from my fingertips works its way through he glove material. I will raise the issue with Garmin support as I fell the issue has become worse on my device, and so they are aware that the design is potentially flawed. Cheers.

• Just had this reply from Garmin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In order to use a capacitive touchscreen device while wearing gloves, you will need to choose gloves that are compatible with use with capacitive touchscreens.  Gloves that feature this design allow the use of the index finger to use the touchscreen without issue. 

Therefore please ensure the gloves are designed to work with our products, as otherwise you should not be exeriencing this issue. 

I'm not impressed & thought I'd share my reply to Garmin >>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the prompt reply – but to be blunt I think that’s a real design weakness. 

I had an Edge 1000 for several years & this was not an issue (screen must have been pressure sensitive). This is a real retrograde step. 

Cyclists should be able to choose gloves on factors such as fit, comfort, insulation – not have to worry about whether they will be able to operate the screen of their device or not. 

I have unusually large hands & find it difficult to get gloves which fit me. I have a number of pairs of (admittedly older but perfectly good) gloves which work for me in the conditions I ride in. I have circulation issues & need good, well insulating gloves for riding outdoors in the UK during winter. 

Sorry to say this, but I’ll be considering whether a Garmin is the right device for me when time comes for a change.

•   I’ve had few issues till this winter with the same gloves being able to swipe the screen.  Problem got worse this year.  It somewhat resolves itself into the ride, I suspect du to the unit itself warming up, would be my guess.  

• Thanks - I think I have come to the conclusion that as the 1030 has a capacitive touch screen it relies on conductivity through gloves, either by having conductive fingertip gloves (similar to those that operate a smartphone screen), or by moisture (eg perspiration) through the gloves. I believe it's the latter that I'm experiencing, the screen only starts responding once I have become warm enough. In my case this can be some considerable time!

• When I first got the 1030, I simply used my water bottle to wet the glove at the end of my finger to enable me to operate the screen. I now use the optional remote control which I highly recommend. I never have to touch the screen with the remote.

• Thanks - useful 'tip' (of the finger!). I did not realise there was a remote control for the Edge 1030.

• Let me pitch-in without reading all comments so sorry if I repeat.

1) Edge works with gloves but not perfect. Special conductive glove certainly help a lot. Many cycling gloves now a day are designed for this, they are easy to find. 

2) When you start a ride your fingers and glove are dry and offer little conductivity. With sweat they get humid and start working better. If you want to speed that up, wet your finger before putting the glove. It works magics.

3) I use the Edge Remote which is a little accessory that give you 3 more buttons. One is programmable. I presonnaly setup the Remote so one button cycle the pages, another bring me to the map page. With gloves this accessory is very handy and makes operation much easier. Especially if it rains since the touch screen is then pretty much not working. In that case I lock the touchscreen (just press power button) and rely only on the Edge Remote.

So there are ways to make things work very well.

• Thanks, that's a great summary of the situation. Rather a shame that having paid a lot for the 1030, only to discover that new gloves & a remote control are needed to get a satisfactory experience in the winter. Hey ho.......

• Same type a screen as a Iphone. Can't use gloves with it either.

• Actually Garmin use a quite different screen than your phone. The Garmin screen tech works much better in direct sunlight and consumes far less battery power to stay on all the time. Regarding touch the Edge technology works better than a phone screen in adverse conditions, but it is not perfect. No technology is for that. I can mention here these is a setting for screen sensitivity, it is available separately for each activity profile you have. You may want to increase/decrease that sensitivity to see if it helps.