This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Brand new cadence sensor doesn't work

Hi,

New to this forum. Just bought the Garmin Edge 1030 "Bundle". I set it up on my bike but neither my Speed nor my Cadence sensor could be detected by the Edge. After a lot of head scratching I tried changing the batteries. The good news is that this resolved the problem (although I do wonder why Garmin are selling products with completely flat batteries).

I then tried testing the sensors. The speed sensor works fine. However the cadence sensor refuses to work. It's brand new, it has a brand new battery (at my additional expense) but the Edge will not pick up a reading from it. It is connected to the Edge but when I turn the crank I get nothing. Cadence just remains blank.

So I thought I'd check Garmin's support. I went to their Garmin Bike Cadence Sensor Troubleshooting page where the advice was that it "may be necessary to rescan for the sensor" and to "reference your owners manual for more information to rescan". I then opened the owners manual from the Gramin website. The web version of the manual allows to to search for words in the manual. I searched for the word "rescan". Zero results.

I should be surprised but I've had Garmin products before... so I'm not.

Any advice anyone? 

• This worked!!!!  Thanks so much!

• Not being in the grooves after a battery replacement was my exact problem.  It could find the sensor on Ant+ search but would not report cadence on my Edge 830 head unit.  Thanks for posting the picture and advise!!!

• Thanks so much for sharing this information.  My wife and I both upgraded to Edge 1030's several months ago and haven't been able to capture any cadence data from our Duotraps since.  I removed the Duotrap from the sensor list on both 1030's and used Search All to add them back.  Now, the cadence sensors show up as a number instead of "Duotrap", but they both are recording cadence data now.  Thanks again!

• I bought the Edge 1030 Plus bundle with both sensors in the box.  The Edge 1030 was pre-loaded with the sensors.  When I clicked sensors from the dashboard, the HR, cadence, and speed sensors were already there.  I didn't have to add them.   And just like in this post, the cadence wouldn't connect.  Turns out they pre-loaded the wrong one.  When I removed it and added it back in, it was a different number.  For example, out of the box it was 12345, and when I removed and added it back in it was 67890 (making those numbers up, but you get the idea).  I assume this number is some sort of device instance number the firmware uses and that they pre-load the Edge with these numbers to make set up easier (except when they get the numbers wrong).  

• I used a tiny screwdriver and bent the four metal prongs shown in the picture above slightly in towards the centre of the cap so they press against the battery more strongly. That fixed the problem.

• I  cannot emphasise enough of using a brand new top  brand like a Duracell battery, I promise you it will work immediately,  I have had the same issues people on here are having..

• This did it for me as well. Took a couple minutes to figure out. Thank you!