This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swim heart rate data in Garmin Connect timeline

I am wondering why my heart rate collected via my Garmin Swim chest strap is not incorporated into my timeline on Garmin Connect. Can Garmin make this happen? Also I went for a recorded walk and it was also not incorporated into the timeline and I am wondering why? Anyone have any answers?
  • I've been wondering about this as well. Also doesn't show in the information for the last 4 hours on the watch. I assume it's something to with not receiving the information live. I also read in another thread somewhere that when you do a swim the hrt data is just at the end of the FIT file rather than all the way through like a normal activity.

Does anyone know it this happens with the Tri strap as well as the swim strap? It's too cold for outdoor swimming at the moment so not used that one for swimming yet.
  • Lidston doesn't happen with the HRM-Tri strap and its only after reading this post that I'd noticed it with the HRM-Swim
  • Thanks for that. I assume it would be quite a quick fix for them then. Assuming it's software rather than hardware.

Another question would be is the HRM-TRI you use the older one or the newer one. The older one having some of the HRM-Swim blue on it. I've seen that there have been diferences between the two Tri straps as well.
  • Lidston Just looked back and HRM-Tri gives same issues when swimming - it is the older one with the Blue I haven't tried the new one

What differences are you aware of in the Two straps?
  • I believe I saw a photo somewhere, that showed visual differences of the electrodes. But I'm quite convinced that software-wise the sensors are identical.
  • The only difference that I can tell is that the blue is a bit more sticky than the black on the newer one :)
  • I'd only seen that they had changed. I just thought if it was the newer one and not happening it might have been an issue they fixed!

It does seem like it's down to how they store the dat in the .fit file for the swims. Perhaps the person who create the fit file fixer will know. I think he posts on here somewhere.
  • I just had a look to my timelines which are before the time I got my Fenix HR.
    There are no heart rates at all visible, only movements. Also not in periods of activities - it doesn't matter which one ...

After checking my data, and comparing the measured heart rates, I guess the heart rate in the timeline needs to be recorded in realtime by a watch with a built in HRM to get it into the timeline. While an activity it is possible to use an external HRM therefor.

Apperantly the HR watches store the heart rates in a certain area for the timeline and a second time in the activity file. In the water no realtime measurement is possible and the activity file get the heart rates via download after quitting it.
    Garmin connect could detect unmeasured times and checking if there are activities which including the missing data - but this is obviously not implemented.

Maybe a Garmin developer could give us more information ...
  • AM69 that's not quite how it works - for a running activity I get the HR shown - picked up from my HRM Tri - it seems to be swimming activities (presumably related to the post swim download) that are not correctly recorded in the timeline