This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Swim needs accuracy improvement

I think the Garmin Swim watch is not accurate in counting strokes and pool length. Comparing to PoolMate Live of Swimovate (I have such one too), I would say it is highly inaccurate.

The PoolMate watch can miss a pool length on a low pace, especially for backstrokes. It accurately calculates the number of strokes and number of pool length on higher paces.

The Garmin Swim watch also can miss a pool length on a low pace. However, it often adds pool length. For example, recently it counted 6 pool length (150 m) instead of actual 4 (100 m) when I swam with backstrokes. Additionally, it does not count strokes properly when pace is sufficiently high. Sometimes the difference gets up to 200%. Needless to say (but less important), sometimes it fails to detect stroke type. It almost never detects butterfly strokes.

My general impression is that the watch does not recognize strokes but tries to estimate the stroke count.

I think that instead of detecting the stroke type, the watch should allow to select one. I suppose if the stroke type is known, then it is easier to detect individual strokes.

Additionally, possibility to correct mistakes in the watch would be very nice.

Meanwhile, I deal with this by downloading the FIT files from Garmin Connects, fixing them with a program I wrote and uploading them back.
  • I've used the Garmin Swim for almost 2 years. I made at least 150 pool swim activities with it. It never failed to detect the correct stroke type and it never failed in counting laps. Not once. I don't know if it was accurate at counting strokes as I did not pay attention to it.

Do not count on any improvements and/or changes to this watch, as it is quite old and somewhat abandoned.
  • Had mine for 4 years - very rarely miscounted - generally when taking evasive action half way through a length. When you say fails at high stroke rate - how high?
  • I've reported this because I count strokes (at least for distances up to 200 m) and pools and the main reason why I've bought a swimming watch is to avoid counting strokes at least for long (400 and above) distances.

Regarding other watches they have many features that I do not need and because of these features they are much more expensive. Additionally, people in the forum also complain about other watches. Therefore, there is no guarantee that after paying 2-4 times more I'll get what I need.

In general, I've started this thread in hope to get developers' reaction.
  • The last firmware update for the Swim was in May 2013. Do not expect any further updates. You're left with the watch as it is. One more question: Do you have the lastest firmware? It should be 3.60 (older units) or 3.80 (later units).
  • Not sure what you are saying I've always found the garmin swim accurate for laps only dropping the occasional lap or adding when I take evasive action in the pool
  • Mine too is very accurate for length count when not taking evasive action. Stroke number seems about right but I never tested. Stroke detectiion - forget about it. I think it works better for some people than others, but probably there is too much variance in strokes across people. Although the firmware hasn't been updated in years, my 735xt (which has 2 week old firmware) is no better or worse. I wish we could set up personal contingencies for the evasive actions, like don't count a length if <x seconds, count as 2 lengths if >y seconds. That would help error proof it, at least for me.
  • mine is really inaccurate, but the pool is inside & under a concrete slab. But i can swim 1000m, go to the shower and then an extra 75m is added a minute or so later. That's inaccurate enough for me.
  • Being inside won't affect the Garmin Swim as there is no GPS. It uses accelerometers, so if you do not push the lap button or stop, it can confuse other movements with being a swimming lap (e.g., fidgeting on the wall, walking).
  • Scotty I assume that you have stopped the activity when you finish your last lap in the pool? If not then it wouldn't be surprising if it still thought you were swimming whilst you get out of the pool and shower. As I've said before my Garmin swim rarely gave me incorrect lap count and the 935 I use now seems to perform very much the same.
  • I have garmin FR645 music and same inaccuracy problem too. I swim for example 300m but it counts somehow 400 or more. I have used Apple watch before and did not experience a problem like that. I am not looking for stroke detection perfection but pool lengt detection must be at least close to accurate. I sould not have to edit the data after every swim. it is really annoying.