This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 945 battery drain after 7. 10 (7.20 included), 8 % down during 6 hours sleep

After 7.10 update battery life of Garmin 945 decreased to 50 - 70 % (2-3 days from 4-5 before). 7.20 have not brought any improvements, still down 8 % per 6 hours of sleep and significantly more during the day. Any possibility to fix this bug? I `d rather have more days without charger than slightly nicer graph of sleep.

I tried all typical solutions (restarts, checked settings of gps, pulseOX etc.)

• Someone ona bother forum mentioned this fix: 

1. Go to the settings 

2. Scroll down to music

3. Go to music providers and choose control phone.

I never used the music feature, so it never occurred to me that this might be an issue. Mine was set to Deezy, and I am not cool enough to know what that is.  After I did this, I charged my watch through my laptop and then left it on for an extra hour after it hit 100% (a recommendation from Garmin until they find a work around).  I did this on a Saturday morning, raced a half Ironman on Sunday morning, and it is now Monday and I still have charge in the green. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a charge last this long.

• Someone ona bother forum mentioned this fix: 

1. Go to the settings 

2. Scroll down to music

3. Go to music providers and choose control phone.

I never used the music feature, so it never occurred to me that this might be an issue. Mine was set to Deezy, and I am not cool enough to know what that is.  After I did this, I charged my watch through my laptop and then left it on for an extra hour after it hit 100% (a recommendation from Garmin until they find a work around).  I did this on a Saturday morning, raced a half Ironman on Sunday morning, and it is now Monday and I still have charge in the green. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a charge last this long.

Probably will not change gps location, but it will help with drain.  And you probably checked your gps settings to make sure it is on go’s and glossnos (spelling).

• Thanks, sounds strange but it would not surprise me if it helps? What to do after step 3 - just open this functionality and close that?

• Once you press control phone, you just exit out.  This is the only thing that has improved my battery drain - I did all of the usual steps (turning it off then on, hard reset to factory settings).  I am hopeful that the real fix will come in soon.

• Thank's, did the trick for me as well, down to normal battery consumption again.

• Not much to add, just that I'll report it to Garmin.

I had not used the 945 for a year and installed 7.20 on it before using it again, so I can't compare to previous versions. The battery usage is ~35% per 24 hours (with ~1.5 hours GPS on per day). Tried this to no avail: Switching Pulse Ox off, reset/wipe/back to factory details, switching off and on, changing the music provider to 'control phone'. Configuration: stock watchface, connection to phone with data transfer disabled.

• Same issue on Forerunner 945 since 7.20 update - battery life has now gone from 7 days to 2 days?!?! 

Above steps have not resolved - is this a known issue with the update????? 

• It is a known by Garnin that battery drain is happening, but mine started not long before the update. When I spoke with them, the person said I would be placed on an email list to receive a notification about the fix. Still no word.

• Is this setting on the connect phone app or on the watch itself please?

• Call Garmin - this is a known issue with the 7.2 update, according to the guy I spoke with.  He installed logging software on my watch, and it now auto reports battery drain statistics directly to their engineering team.  The more people who do this, hopefully the faster they find a resolution.  The drain on my watch is absolutely insane.