This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wrist HR - could Garmin increase accuracy for hiking?

I've done a few informal tests of the OHR accuracy on FR945 by running with a HR chest band and showing the OHR and the auxiliary HR on the same data screen.

When using the running and trail running activities and going at normal intensity and speed for those types of activity, the accuracy of the OHR is impressive. Mostly no more than 1-2 beats separate the OHR and the belt.

The results are far from that accuracy for other activities. I assume this is because Garmin put more work into the algorithms that estimate the HR based on the user's performance data, GPS speed and running cadence, for running activities. I also assume those algorithms don't just take the hardware reading and manipulate it, but actually makes the sensor look for a HR in a certain expected range. Any thoughts on that theory?

I'll focus on mountain hiking here, as it's a common activity for people who do multisport, trail and uphill races.  

For a 1 to 10 hour mountain hike, the OHR is way too low most of the time, regardless of the activity type used (running/trail run/hiking). The tendency is that the OHR stays around 90-ish most of the time, while the real HR typically would go up and down, let's say between 80 and 170, as the gradient/climbs vary from almost flat to very steep.

- My theory is that the estimation algorithms applied, even when using the Hiking activity, are the same as those used for running, thus the low speed and cadence of a hiking person makes the watch expect a very low HR.

- Sometimes, while hiking, the watch will suddenly detect the correct HR and stay in the correct HR range for some time, before it goes back down to the low HR range it expects you to be in. This could be due to occasional increased speed or cadence as the trail goes downhill.

I believe the OHR on FR945 could perform much better for hiking, given improved algorithms that are applied only to hiking activities. These algorithms could take into account things like the current vertical speed and historical (5-minute) altitude change, while adjusting the significance of speed and severely reducing the effect of cadence as a factor in the calculation. It should be possible to make such an improvement with a software update for FR945.

Any thoughts on this, insights, comments? I'm sure many of you have discussed this before and maybe even contacted Garmin to request improvements. 

I for one would greatly appreciate increased accuracy for hiking activities since they constitute a big part of my base training most of the year.

• I'm not sure why everyone cites "Wrist HR limitations" as a good excuse for the Garmin HR to be SO off.

I've had and recorded activities on the following devices over the last 4 years:

• Fitbit Charge 2
    • Fitbit Ionic
    • Fitbit Versa 1
    • Fitbit Versa 2
    • Samsung Galaxy Active 2
    • Garmin Vivoactive 4
    • Garmin Vivomove Luxe (current watch)

These activities include runs, cycling, hiking, indoor HIIT and strength training. Not a single one of them had HR issues, and while it might not be "chest strap accurate" it always reflected what my effort felt like.

But I've been recently looking for a new Garmin device for some additional features, and have had to return them because of how BAD the HR is. These are the two I've tried:

• Garmin Instinct Tactical
    • Garmin Fenix 5x

I found this post while searching if the 945 has the same issues (and it looks like it does). My heartrate will register at around 90bpm while doing kettlebell swings, when I'm typically in the 150-160 range. Even when standing around for a minute rest, not flexing my wrist or anything, the HR is grossly underreported

I believe this is just bad OHR design on the older garmin devices, whether software or firmware who knows, but the new ones don't have the same issue. And everyone just cites "Limitations of optical heart rate" and recommends buying a chest strap, when no other device has the same problem.

Showing 140 while your heart rate is actually 150 is a limitation. Showing 70 while doing jumping jacks your whole workout is a bug