This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Body battery is a useless gimmick

I'm just venting because it's highly irritating.

I understand how hard it probably is to even start making such a functionality workable. However - if you are using it as a selling point - please be so kind as to make things work before bragging about it. I work in software development, but can't afford to ship non-functioning crap to customers. What does Garmin allowed to do it?

I can shrug it off when my body battery isn't charging while i'm asleep. Ok... might be buggy.

I can shrug it off that my body battery is charging more when i'm in a middle of a stressful business meeting rather than when i'm watching TV at home laying still.

But for the love of all sacred bugs - this stupid thing has been steady at 5% for 3 days now. Not moving an inch. Not charging... not draining. Nothing... according to my watch i must be dead.

I have reset the watch, charged it to 100%... whatever... nothing helps. This is so highly annoying and irritating when a company can get away with non-functioning software on such a high priced watch.

• Another datapoint in favour; This week I was "under the weather" (non COVID) with a fever and other typical symptoms. I started feeling better last night and body battery tracked it perfectly. Stress (the high density graphs) just showed noise. While you do not need this to tell you that you feel unwell, it is good in confirming things if you are on the edge of unsure and a good hint to tell you to slow down for a bit.

• Again, how does the Body Battery know what your numbers are *when you aren't wearing it?*

Mine always has one number when I go to bed (and remove the watch) and then a different number when I wake up (but never 100%).  How is it making that estimate?

• Well it at least provides an explanation (thanks that was informative) but the estimate my watch provides for Body Battery doesn't really jive with what it shows on the rare instance that I actually do wear it to sleep (when it always maxes me out to 100%).  

Here's the text for anyone else not wanting to jump to the link:

What happens when I do not wear my watch?

The Body Battery metric will estimate the charging or draining during short periods when the device is off. If you do not wear it for several hours or longer, the value will reset based on a model and continue from that point once worn.

After wearing the device continuously for a full day, the values should correlate closely to what your Body Battery should be. The more you wear it, the more accurate it should be.

• There is no counterpoint. You were absolutely right. Mine does the same thing.

• I think that we all place too much trust in these rather rudimentary AI cheap products. Then we use the bad information that they provide to allow us to feel this way or that. Take off the instruments and let your body and mind sync up with how you actually feel. I have been there and realize when I do not feel good I should look at what I am doing and what I am consuming including foods and media and make adjustments that parlay into feeling more grounded and healthy.

Good Luck and stop trusting bad tech in all aspects of life…

• It tells me I have high energy 70%
    when I feel exhausted 

• Proves it’s all ***

• The Body Battery is a key feature and selling point to me. It tracks perfectly to my daily lifestyle and allows me to recognise when I need to slow down and reduce my physical or emotional stress levels. 

Theres clearly a lot of positivity about the feature and many people feels the same however, if it doesn’t work for you, don’t use it - remove the widget.