This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 945 only second quality in Garmin Ecosystem? Bugfixes are not done because why bother if you can sell Fenix watches?

If I look at thinks, Garmin does as a company, I see something:

If you buy the cashcow Fenix (6 in this case), you get proper software support and Garmin tries to cover the bugs affecting major functionality.
If you buy the Forerunner 945 (just a reminder: the top of the shelf SPORTS & FITNESS watch), you will be bitten in your lower back.
Two examples, why they just don't care to provide us with solutions wich are already done:

Wifi 0200 Error: They fixed it on Fenix Series 6 days after they acknowledged it for the whole Hardware Series, they fixed it in public release Fenix 6 4.3. They don't even insert it in Beta Software 3.15 for Forerunner.

Treadmill Running: Acknowledged by Former Member officially on 20 Sep here, nothing ever happened since then. At least on Forerunner 945. In Fenix 6 4.2 it was fixed on 14 Oct, according to the changelog release by here.

Maybe someone like could fire up some action.

I think its really necessary that bloggers like puplish these thinks. He also didn't cover on his review of the Index Scale that it wasn't smart for a lot of people because Garmin did 1.5 years nothing to fix their messed up NTP call. Ray, I really like your site, but I think your position "I don't talk a lot about bugs because they can fix them" is wrong in some cases.
In that case, real action started when US customers where thinking about class action aloud. I think this should not be necessary at all. 

They once said, Garmin doesn't care about paying customers because they already have our money. But I think we should spread that word and: Contact service and get replacement after replacement until service cost explodes because of the bugs. The same like sticky buttons or cracking OHR. I had non of this issues on Fenix 1, 2, 3, 3HR or 5. But I have both the second time on FR945, so I will get my 3rd watch now. This can't be in Garmins interest.

• Which "damaging article" do you mean?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/competitor-software-instability.html

In which direction are you leaving?

I bought an Apple Watch 5 GPS+Cellular a few weeks ago and tested it. Kept my 945 in the meantime as I did not 100% trust it being a replacement. Main three fears: 1) Battery lifetime (definitely worse than 945 but manageable. About 15-20% loss of battery per hour during running with everything switched on: cellular+BT audio+sensors. Got to charge every day, but no big deal). 2) ecosystem integration. Is brilliant with RunGap. Can instantly sync my runs to wherever I want. I use runalyze and it works like a charm. Sync my indoor rides from Zwift to runalyze to Apple health instantly. 3) GPS quality. After my first runs it was bad. Got a lot better and is at least par with my 945 or even better. Did a comparison from 910XT to F3 to 935 to 945 to AW5 and 910XT was the best. AW5 second.

I am using an app called Workoutdoors which is brilliant and the author is very responsive in a forum and can also be contacted via mail, Facebook, etc. And he fixes bugs immediately to stay in the topic here ;-)

Did no swimming workouts yet. But what I understood it should be good.

Cycling is not possible as sensors are only supported by some apps and battery lifetime would be a problem. For that I still use my Edge 820 which will be replaced by a Wahoo device as soon as I get a good offer. The 820 was a big mistake, had a rock solid Edge 800 before and 820 is some much worse.

A lot of friends have activity trackers from Garmin, so the social factor there is also a point...

I just kicked out all friends on my sports platforms as I did not see any benefit anymore and it only cost time. But anyway, with Rungap as mentioned above you can sync your runs to and from everywhere and can even aggregate your "social timeline" in the app from various platforms.

• Found the Bug Post.
    Read it. Understood it.

I just ran into a language barrier, but let my try it:
    I would like to see more direct mentions of bugs affecting the end experience. I know it would be a lot of work. But let me take the treadmill problem for an example: While F3, F3 HR and F5 are and were all within 5% of the treadmills display, the Forerunner is far off. Its also known that the problem is the FR 945. If I look reviews (not only yours) up, it is nowhere mentioned that this watch is plain useless for this sport. I just don't know how to edit that into the opening post.

Bug fixes introducing bugs are not new to Garmin, so they don't scare me.

Even if they release a new public release, its uncommon to have thinks fixed which weren't fixed in beta.

Do you know it the FR software is a phased rollout like on the Edge devices?

• I have the Fenix 6 and if you check the forum over there you will find the same issues. The devices are very similar. 

• Sure, but for every FR945 update the Fenix 6 gets 3 or 4 updates. It looks like they really try to fix the Fenix 6 at least.

• The F6 doesn't sync with mobile app on iPhone, the GPS is terrible, the weather widget doesn't update. I had the 945 and really regret the extra financial output. If you think you are badly off check the Venu forum :( 

I think we are all in the same boat, I just hope Garmin can get the fundamentals working properly again soon. 

• I not agree with this post. In the future, or in the past, some Fenix owner could say the same when some 945 software will arrive before fenix.

Have a nice day... the firmware is arrived!

• I agree, I'm looking in the F6 forum a lot since ordered one 2 month ago. They bring up the same blames. Don't think that the issue is the kind of device necessarily as compared to company policy in general. It seems devices are market ready one the hardware is there, even if software only is there at 40%. Early adopters pay the difference. For now that works for Garmin. We life in a fast changing world especially for this business. I would count on that startegy working 4ever