This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bug in the interval workout screen with "pace" as target. The watch doesn't use instant pace.

When doing an interval workout with pace as a target, in the screen the watch shows not instant pace but step pace (average pace during the interval). I set an audio alarm when outside the desired pace, but with step pace it's not useful. For short intervals of 400 m, for example, if I'm running at 3:45 /km pace (instant pace of Runscribe footpod), step pace especially at the beginning is very far  from true value (for example 4:30/km). I'm now using footpod pace only for speed and not for distance, so step pace is pace of gps.

One possible solution is to set distance from footpod, but in my opinion it would be better to show in the "speed gauge" not step pace but instant pace. Today for example I changed the "interval page" with a different page where I could read Runscribe footpod instant pace. When I'm doing intervals I want to read instant pace and not average pace. What do you think?

• Yes please log a bug! The 935 used to show instant pace then a firmware release took it back to average and despite me logging support calls Garmin never acknowledged the difference!

• This was exactly happening to me... when I started to be out of breath I checked another data field and noticed that I was going much too fast...

One of the many things that are badly integrated in Garmin watches. I was thinking that it might be only a Fenix issue and that the more runner dedicated watches would be have this problem, but no.

Thanks for bringing it up here. did you wrote to Garmin?

• Yes, I wrote to [email protected] because I was on the beta firmware, but I received no answer. I don't know who else I can contact, because this is not a bug but a choice by design of Garmin, probably common to all the Garmin watches and not peculiar to the FR945. We should contact the Garmin boss, but how?

The interval screen is very very pretty, but it's now unusable for me.

Yesterday I did 10x1km intervals with 3 minutes rest. In the watch I had just two fields, instant pace of my Runscribe footpod and lap time (instant pace is the field that  I look at while running, lap time I need for the rest period in order to know when to start again running. Distance I use km mark on a bike path). This is all I need, and I could do my intervals very well even without the beautiful pace gauge.

But, again, what a pity, I'm not using the workout graphical screen that is so well designed... It would be very useful to remember what I have to do if  I have complex workouts or a lot of repetitions. And I miss the beautiful "pace gauge".

• You can try sending a mail to support via contact form or [email protected]. Maybe also via chat or phone.

Wish you good luck, did not work for me. As written above, the support team did not have the faintest clue what I was writing about. Thankfully they did not propose to do a hard reset or exchange my watch, but actually I am not 100% sure about this ;-)

• Sorry, , I don't want too spend too much energy because I know I won't succeed Slight smile

If Garmin want to listen, they will listen.

It should be an important thing  and Garmin spent a lot of time to do a nice graphical interface, so it depends on them if they want to further improve the "workout feature".

The solution could be simple, they could leave the user the freedom to choose between "instant pace" or "step pace". If they don't give this option, probably they have some reasons. Probably for some users is better "instant pace", for others "step pace", or maybe the same user wants to use sometimes instant pace and sometimes step pace depending on the length of interval or the kind of workout,  or if they are using a footpod or not, or if in the place where they train gps reception is good or bad.

• same for me. I can live with like it is.

Only a shame that Garmin can not even provide a simple explanation when being kindly asked.

• However, it's strange that Garmin has released with the Fenix6 the "pace pro" feature (that will be appear also for the FR945), that is really complex to develop and that probably only few people will use, and don't want to invest a bit of time in improving the "workout" feature, that is already operational and would need very little developer time to improve, and that probably a lot of people are already using.

• Yes, it is always forward and not fixing the basic features.

And I am almost sure PacePro will be a sad experience. At the first glance it will work but every little difficulty will kick it badly. And then a lot of people cry for fixes and nothing happens. And then we have the next new halfbaken feature.

• this workout screen could be such a nice feature, but it's not useable ! and not even adjustable, come on garmin you can't show HR if your workout is pace based, WTF !
    Actually, if you have both instant pace and lap pace on another screen and you start a fast interval after a slow one you can even see that when the new interval kicks in, the lap pace shows your true pace while the "instant pace" still shows a slower pace. This is ridiculous ! for fast intervals like 15"/45" the watch is completely useless

• I just went for a paced workout with my F5+ and my old Polar M400. The instant pace they are giving was pretty much the same (+/-5s) all the time, so far so good.

What is shown on the workout screen differs a lot though. The F5+ shows (probably) the step pace, i.e. it will change slower the longer the step/interval.
    The Polar M400 on the other side uses the instant pace. Downside of the latter: for the Polar, I was often "out of the target zone" as the pace range was only 10s, so with the general (im)precision of the GPS-based pace, this was the result.

Still, for me, Polar's approach makes much more sense.