Updates FR945 vs FR945LTE

I made a little table comparing updates in the first year of 945 vs the first year of 945LTE.

On the left, FR945. On the right, FR945LTE. In green color, releases.

When Garmin start to fix the bugs in our watch? Are they waiting to the 955? Why? We need bug fixes, not new sports, stamina or whatever the 955 will have new. Please, bug FIXES!

• i think that is the one worrisome things about our watch. even without ill intent, it doesn't have a direct sibling in the Garmin with the closest thing being the Venu 2. although it's been speculated that the internals are very similar to the Fenix 7/Epix2. but with the latter two being touch screen device and having the newer GPS chips, it seems there is a big gap in similarity.

it makes me wonder if they just don't have many people working on our watch, even if it's note entirely forgotten.

perhaps i was spoiled. when i owned my 935, in spite of its problems, it got a ton of updates which lined up nicely with its close sibling the Fenix 5.

the only thing i can say on the positive is that if they didn't update my watch any more, it's functioning fine for my uses which are not as extensive as others. there are a few niggling bugs, but i can live with them. on the other hand, i still haven't returned to the pool after a couple year hiatus. if the pool lap issues continue when i start swimming again, i will be very frustrated.

• Its development platform, its easy to update 55, 245, 745, 945 all at once because they run the hardware core. It’s just software differences to enable features or hardware like altimeters etc.

And from my understanding; Venu 2, Felix 7, Epix, 945 LTE use the same core so they should be developed at the same time except…. drastic changes to the platform need to be certified before they can roll out the 945 LTE

• Touch screen is a simple software build change. And the GPS chip is likely the same without the secondary antenna or is within the same chip family making it a simple software change depending on the Manufacturer.

• Sadly 955 rumored to be out in June, that will be my fix for the 945 lte.

• I thought the 945 LTE and Venu 2 use Sony while the Fenix 7 and Epix were the first to debut with Airoha/MediaTek? There seems to be a gap in accuracy, where the step up to Airoha is much more significant than multiband.

Check out DC Rainmaker's video "The NYC GPS Test: Garmin Fenix 7 vs COROS Vertix 2 (plus many more)!" if you haven't already. There you can see the base Fenix 7 closely matching multiband/Sapphire, with both outpacing the Vertix 2's multiband setup (same chip as in Garmin Sapphire/multiband models).

• From what I've seen, DC Rainmaker made a video about the improved GPS accuracy of the 745 compared to a lot of other watches, that's probably where the switch happened.

Then 745->945LTE->Instinct 2->Fenix7. All noted to have better GPS accuracy than their predecessor but on par with that current "Garmin" standard. Fenix 6 has the older chipset as it predates the 745 which is why it's performance isn't as good.

Other newer Garmin devices will likely have this chipset but may or may not have Multi-Band GPS depending on software and select few may be designed around the higher end chipset with Multi-GNSS(Fenix 7). This allows Garmin to easily develop their platform into new products.

• this was my impression too. honestly, this is the primary reason why i would be tempted to move to the 955 from my 945LTE only one year later. secondary reasons would be a longer battery life and larger screen (i'm hoping and expecting a 1.3" screen on a 47mm watch). but it's hard to justify but getting better real time pacing when I'm running in areas with significant trees would be welcomed.

• Sadly if the 955 still has LTE, I think we'll be stuck in the same boat. Cry

• from all the rumors i've read...except for the weird australia listing last year, it doesn't seem the 955 will be released with LTE from the start. (my hypothesis is that that one rumor/leak was in reference to the 945LTE...but time will tell). as i've noted elsewhere, i don't actually use the LTE features of my watch so i could upgrade to the 955 without losing that important feature if the 955 doesn't include LTE.

i still think i made the right call in spending $50 more for the LTE over the standard 945 even with its persistent bugs that need fixing.

• I do think the same, a lot of the rumors of the 955 are likely in reference to the 945 LTE.

Even DC Rainmaker said that Garmin was going to call the 945 LTE, 955 and likely changed last minute due to feedback. Some seller skus probably didn't update correctly.

The one about 255/955 co-release does seem real unless the person is merging two separate rumors.