Bug fixes, new features, and what will the 955 bring?

like many of you, i took the plunge last June, hoping that the 945LTE wouldn't be the forgotten step child of a watch, especially given the assurances from Garmin to DCRainmaker that this wouldn't be the case. i share in the frustration of many of you that while the watch has been great in many respects, there are a long list of small, and some significant bugs that continue to plague our watch 11 months later.

i really find myself a bit at a loss of what Garmin is doing behind the scenes with your beloved watch.. while the news through DC Rainmaker that Stamina and onboard Connect IQ settings changes (the latter being challenging according to what DC says) being added features to the 945LTE in 2022 are nice, i'd rather have Garmin focus on delivering a watch that does the things promised in the user manual and specifications when it was released in June 2021.

with the recent "leak" of the 955 out on Reddit, it makes me wonder what the 955 will bring and i ask if any of you folks would upgrade to it? this is what i gather from the leaks:

- solar option (although a non-solar version will be available)

- touch screen ? (no mention of it in any leaked docs or discussion)

- updated GPS with multi-band

- stamina

- onboard Connect IQ settings changes

- larger screen? (1.3" back onto a 47mm watch?)

- any LTE? no mention of it recently and surprising it wasn't included in any of the Fenix7/Epix2 models

what would lead you guys to eat the investment of the 945LTE and go with the 955? i'd be torn with any of the items i listed above. my LTE has for the most part done everything i needed it to do, and i don't even use the LTE feature. i think the only lure might be the newer GPS with dual band capability and if they went back to the 47mm with the 1.3" screen and a better battery life. (i'd be more than content with my 945LTE if it really lived up to specs. as i've noted many times before, this watch has significantly less battery life than my 935 even though it was spec'd to be similar)

as as a side note: one thing that i continue to be impressed with after seeing a Fenix 7 briefly the other day is the quality of the screen visibility on the 945LTE. without the touchscreen layer (presumably) and/or solar and sapphire, i find my 945LTE has great visibility from all angles and with backlight, significantly more pleasing visibility at night than my 935 ever had. i'll be curious what the 955 screen ends up looking like.

• I agree, the battery specs are misleading and that’s true that the dual band would be beneficial in urban environments with a lot of noise. Still, I think it makes more sense to take advantage of a phone’s dual band hardware in a city-scape than to expend the extra battery life and hardware space incorporating a shortwave receiver. You’re right about the GPS navigation UI being unfriendly. It’s not great and certainly could use further development. The nav software needs work.

I do really like my 945, but it still feels a bit like a concept product. I’d love to see it further refined.

• If the 955 will not bring support for native running power I will definitely change the brand. 

The way Garmin is supporting the 945 LTE is a shame and a clap in the face of all owners of the watch. I sold my 945 and thought to make an upgrade by buying the 945 LTE. The opposite happened...

• given the Fenix 7/Epix2 feature sets, i wouldn't hold out hope for native running power.

is the native running power in the recent Corox watches accurate?

but i agree: they haven't treated owners of their current (for 11 months now) flagship Forerunner very well in terms of timely bug fixes. i really don't care much about them giving me new features, give the functionality and battery specs stated in the manual and i would be happy.

• If we see native running power, I hope calculations take foot pod data into account, whether they make wearing one mandatory or not. If the power calculation is based entirely on the watch’s pace, heart rate and elevation data, the metric becomes more of a combined presentation of data already present rather than a new data point worth analysing.

That’s the thing I find most intriguing about the STRYD V3: it attempts to account for wind. If Garmin were able to account for weather conditions that drain energy from runners (wind, slippery wet/icey surfaces, loose gravel, sand or snow), I'd actually find it worth paying attention to. With native integration, metrics such as performance condition, training load and VO2 estimation would benefit too.

I realise that's a daydream.

• If swim workouts, in particular IF repeats worked on the 955, I'm ditching the 945lte that second.  Tough to train when the device you use doesn't work 3x a week for a specific and important leg of triathlon.   

I bought in September after DCR said it wouldn't be the 645 Music all over again.  What a fool I was.

• i hear you. what has Garmin Support said in their ticket comments with you? (not that we can trust anything they necessarily say) have they acknowledged this problem exists and that they have replicated it?

i too feel fooled base on DCR's comments in his review. yet, i'm holding out hope that there really will be a significant upgrade in the coming month that will address some of these bugs. but not holding my breath...

• They have not responded since 4/29, nor have they said they actually have replicated the problem. 

As I swim 3x a week I was providing 3 Activity.FIT and the corresponding Workout.FIT along with Visio diagrams detailing what my watch face showed during the workout and where endless loops would occur and URLs to each activity/workout in GC weekly.  I also included the garbage HEX strings on certain screens and detailing that both Garmin Connect created workouts which were just as broke as my 3rd party workouts (humango.com) and which .FITs were which.

In the end they had at least 15 workouts to look at since I opened the case with the above details, the several forum posts with others having the same issues, and all of my workouts since Firmware 4.16 as they asked for a ZIP of my entire watch (minus .ISO files) when the case was moved from a Ref Ticket to a Case Ticket.  
    << Ref: 21777194K1 >> <Q#:1002452>

Disappointed

• i'm sorry. that stinks. this is a major bug IMHO (that i have encountered because i haven't been in the pool since the pandemic) ... for me, thankfully, none of the bugs i've encountered are show stoppers. hoping for the best...wonder if this problem has come up with the Fenix7/Epix2/Venu since hardware and code bases are theoretically similar. maybe you can inquire over on those forums to see if you can get a generous soul to try this out on their watches.

• So I reached out and my contact reached the dev team.

Hello eric,

The engineers are currently working on a software update to fix this. I do not have an ETA of when this will be out. I will update you as soon as there is a fix available. 

Assuming this is true, they must be able to replicate the issue as it should be pretty easy to do.

• Regarding reassurances from Ray Maker that the LTE wouldn't be another 645 Music, what he actually wrote was:

"Of course, many will ask whether or not this is a middle-child watch. Something that fits a temporary gap until a Forerunner 955 comes along, whereby they’ll ditch updates for it. And that’s definitely a super valid question. As noted earlier, Garmin says no, it’s not – and they plan plenty of updates going forward. Again, we’ll have to see whether that holds true. The company has a long history of middle-child watches being promptly ignored 6-8 months later when the proper sibling comes along."

As in, he's passing on Garmin's statement while acknowledging that caution is warranted.

@erockem: That's really frustrating, but I'm glad you put the effort into a proper report. Everyone will benefit from that in the long run. Posts here in the forums rarely get noticed it seems, and that's probably why Garmin is setting up beta forums along with their new Beta Software Program, where we no longer need to transfer update files manually. I hope our LTE becomes eligble for said program starting with the delayed June update.